Senior Software Development Engineer
About the Job
The Challenge: Whole Foods Market is looking for engineers who are passionate and innovative Software Development Engineers that have a heart for Nourishing People and the Planet to join our newly formed Engineering Services team. This team will be closely aligned with our Chief Technology Officer (CTO) which will be deployed to tackle some of our most complex and challenging projects and will deliver innovative technical solutions to advance the retail grocery industry.
The Team: We can't wait to show customers what's possible when Amazon and Whole Foods Market innovate together. This is just the beginning and we need exceptional people across all technology disciplines to build and unearth the full potential of this opportunity.
The Role: Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment. As a WFM Software Development Engineer, you will help tackle a diverse landscape of technical challenges. We are an early-stage initiative, and you will play an active role in translating business requirements into concrete systems and prototyping concepts in partnership with Amazon, technology leaders within the team and across the business.
You will design, develop and deploy reliable distributed solutions that operate at Amazon scale. You will work with a variety of core languages and technologies including Java, Linux, and AWS services. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and will have the opportunity to redefine an industry while working with different teams across Amazon and Whole Foods Market. Along the way, we guarantee that you’ll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on many people. Most importantly you’ll be contributing to our Higher Purpose of Nourishing People and the Planet!
Key Attributes and Responsibilities
- You are passionate about defining and creating brand new products and services that will radically improve customer experiences in key strategic areas
- You are able to translate business objectives into technical solutions understanding how it will impact and align with overall strategy
- You love to explore unknown territory and invent simple, beautiful solutions to complex business and usability problems, sometimes with no clear precedent in today’s world
- You are highly collaborative, with a proven record of working closely with your team to influence outcomes and propose well-informed new directions
- You have great interpersonal communication skills. You’re good at finding new and better ways of communicating and sharing your work, and are always fine-tuning your work for impact and transparency
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
- 5+ years of professional experience as a software developer
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms design, problem solving
- Knowledge of at least one modern programming language, such as Java, C# or C++
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- AWS experience is a strong plus
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Excellent communication, collaboration, reporting, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.