Meat / Seafood Team Leader
About the Job
Responsible for overall leadership of assigned team(s). Responsible for all aspects of daily operations, including profitability, expense control, buying, merchandising, labor, regulatory compliance, and special projects as assigned. Accountable for Team Member hiring, development, corrective actions, and separations. All Whole Foods Market Retail jobs require ensuring a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient service to customers and Team Members at all times. All positions must be performed in accordance with team and store Standard Operating Procedures. Further, Team Members must be prepared and able to perform the duties inherent in other Team Member job descriptions. All positions must strive to support WFM core values and goals, promote national, regional, and store programs and initiatives, and ensure adherence to all applicable health and safety regulations including Food Safety and regulatory duties required in the department.
- Holds ATLs, supervisors, and Team Members accountable for delivering outstanding customer service.
- Defines and develops clear expectations to achieve the highest standards of retail execution.
- Effectively delegates to and empowers ATLs and Team Members.
- Accountable for monitoring and achieving sales, margin, expense, and labor targets.
- Maintains proper product assortment, merchandising, and inventory control.
- Ensures products are cross-merchandised in accordance with regional and global guidelines.
- Ensures adherence to category management schedule and planograms.
- Ensures nutritional aspects are displayed correctly.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative and productive working relationship with departmental and store leadership.
- Maintains comprehensive knowledge of and ensures compliance with relevant regulatory rules and standards.
- Sets and achieves the highest standards of retail execution.
- Fosters and encourages a positive environment of outstanding teamwork, mutual respect, and exceptional morale.
- Consistently communicates and models WFM vision and goals.
- Maintains awareness of customer flows and needs and directs Team Members as necessary to satisfy and delight customers; responds promptly to customer needs and questions.
- Selects, trains, develops, mentors, motivates, and counsels Team Members in a manner that sustains a high-performance team and minimizes turnover.
- Communicates and maintains Team Member safety and security standards.
- Provides timely, thorough, and thoughtful performance evaluations.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Sustains exceptional level of knowledge and awareness of relevant competitors and industry trends.
- Advanced knowledge of products, buying, pricing, merchandising, and inventory management.
- Food safety certification, for some roles. If not currently certified, will commit to completing certification within 6 months.
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational, team building, and customer relationship skills.
- Capable of teaching others in a positive and constructive manner.
- Thorough product knowledge.
- Advanced knowledge of regulatory and safety policies and procedures.
- Proficient mathematical skills for assessing financial performance, monitoring profitability, and managing inventory.
- Demonstrated decision-making ability, leadership skills, and ability to prioritize and delegate.
- Proficiency with email, Microsoft Office, and operations-related applications.
Desired Work Experiences
- 24+ months retail experience including 12+ months of team leadership experience.
- Meat Cutter experience
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour work day: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting and reaching.
- Exposure to FDA approved cleaning chemicals.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40 degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Ability to work in a wet and cold environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Ability to use tools and equipment, including box cutters, knives, electric pallet jacks, forklifts, hand trucks, six-wheel carts, balers, and other heavy machinery.
Note: The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for the position and is not meant as an exhaustive list. This document does not reflect all job duties or requirements for every position. Requirements build as one progresses through the job levels, so any job duties required at a lower level may be required at the higher level in addition to the duties listed for that higher level. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business conditions, departmental or geographic location, and/or needs for the particular position. An individual must demonstrate successful performance in their current position before being considered for promotion. In addition, in order to promote into a higher-level position, a business need for the promotion must exist and the candidate must be considered the most qualified person for the new position. Completion of certain milestones such as obtaining an advanced degree or certification, time in current position, or developing skills to perform at the higher-level role do not guarantee a promotion.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.