Staff Engineer - Digital
About the Job
This is our story We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
WarnerMedia seeks a CNN Digital Staff Engineer for the CNN.com department. The CNN Core Engineering team is hiring a Staff Engineer to help the organization progress our engineering maturity and develop solutions that will give confidence in our digital portfolio and infrastructure. We are a cross cutting team that works to lift up the other product and engineering teams by championing engineering best practices and providing tooling that will automate manual tasks in an effort to facilitate speed to market, with confidence, for our digital products.
The team aims to provide transparency into the health of our digital products and infrastructure through reporting metrics that can easily be viewed and tracked by engineers and stakeholders in the company. This will allow for the experts in the respective fields to gain insight into trends and code health, track progress, and prevent issues before they are deployed to production.
The team is a collective of spirited engineers that will lead the efforts for the next generation of best of class engineering at CNN. We will work with other engineering teams to understand common needs, explore tools we all can leverage, and come to a consensus on quality standards. Come be a part of this exciting journey that will take our engineering group to the next level!
- Design and deliver automated solutions that can be leveraged by other engineering teams to build, test and deploy code with confidence
- Develop a central reporting dashboard for the organization that will give real-time and historical insights for code health, infrastructure and system availability for the critical applications that run the CNN Digital business
- Clearly articulate and document technical solutions in a format that will allow you to propose and gain consensus with your engineering peers
- Lead code/architecture reviews and champion best practices for the organization by defining and evolving engineering standards
- Stay abreast with industry trends and announcements. Understand how changes can impact our business and raise concerns and/or propose solutions to mitigate
- Code! Be passionate about software engineering with a strong sense of ownership for the code that you and your team write
- Fail up, learn from research and experiments and ultimately choose the best solution to succeed the company objectives
- BS degree in Computer Science, or a related field with 8+ years of relevant experience
- Proven record of driving initiatives which involve changes in the engineering culture through evangelism and structured processes
- Ability to review company goals and lead towards success, through discussion with engineering peers, proposals, and ultimately breaking down the solution into meaningful tasks to execute or delegate to the team
- Full-stack industry experience with modern development technologies, and hands-on familiarity with both client and server technology. Have a solid understanding of common software data structures and algorithms
- Experience working with modern engineering technologies such as AWS, Serverless, Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Jenkins, Snowflake and Git
- A passion to grow professionally. Seek self-improvement and are adaptable to suggestions and feedback
The Nice to Haves
- Experience with strategies to monitor code health, infrastructure health and performance of applications
- Familiar and proactive with RCA and PMR processes
- Experience working on Scrum teams and the tools used for project management
- Active in the technology community
- Experience with interviewing and talent acquisition
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to wellbeing tools, resources, and freebies
• 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
• 2018 Best Company for Dads
• An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands