Sr Staff Software Eng - Content Discovery Search
About the Job
HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world's most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
WarnerMedia seeks a Sr Staff Software Engineer for the Code Labs Engineering department.
The WarnerMedia Direct to Consumer Search team is responsible for the search platform used within the HBO Max experience. We drive a core content discovery experience that aims to quickly connect a customer to a specific video while helping them explore the catalog when they are not sure what they are looking for. As the owner of a critical part of the discovery experience, you will have the opportunity expected to use customer behavior to develop a deep understanding of your customers and apply that to each individual's entertainment activities.
- Design, architect, and support the direct-to-consumer search solution that allows customers to find the content they'd love to watch conveniently and promptly.
- Collaborating with team members and cross-functional teams to define and identify opportunities to improve customers' search experience.
- You'll become an industry expert in the world of content search
- Ideate and innovate on complex software solutions
- You are a team resource, growing other engineers and defining team software standards and engineering best practices
- Design and deliver complex architectures and distributed systems, including working through other engineers to help deliver the end solution
- Describe highly technical concepts to non-technical audiences in a way they can understand
- Be passionate about software engineering with a strong sense of ownership for the code that you and your team write
- Seek self-improvement and are adaptable to suggestions and feedback
- Proactively identifies and leads projects to improve automation of development, test, and operational processes across teams.
- Hold yourself and your team to high standards while maintaining friendly, respectful relationships
- A strong understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, operating systems, distributed systems.
- End-to-end experience supporting large-scale backend systems in production environments
- Success in delivering and operating reliable low-latency, services operating in a 24x7 environment
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms (AWS, Google app engine, Azure, Kubernetes)
- Experience with content search systems using modern search technology. E.g. Lucene, Elasticsearch, Solr, or an equivalent.
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands