Sr Software Engineer - Digital
About the Job
WarnerMedia seeks a Sr Software Engineer for the CNN.com department. CNN is the world's most essential and engaging source of video and digital news, and we're embarking on a crucial mission to invent the next generation news and information experiences online. You'll be joining an empowered cross-functional team building the trusted new digital products, platforms, and formats that put CNN's talent, expertise, and content programming - and the directions it goes next - directly in the hands of consumers. The Internet is changing the news and information landscape, and we have an ambitious product roadmap grounded in journalism and facts. Our team has a unique ability to marry content, design, product, and technology to spark connection, fulfill utility, and build community.
Our future involves native applications across many ecosystems, but we are first focused on building a delightful, interactive web application. We are currently building in Node, TypeScript, and Python, and we will be flexible in our technology choices as we leverage internal services, open-source software, and cloud services.
Your ability to traverse the full web stack will be an asset to us as we evaluate the tradeoffs inherent in software engineering. We have fun with this everyday: balancing what our users are asking for, our current technical strengths, and what new technologies are emerging and where we want to grow as a team. We hold the ability to choose (or invent) the right tool for the job in high regard and consider it a critical part of our success.
We work iteratively by synthesizing product, design, and research feedback. We have experience releasing real-time apps to large audiences and welcome your experience making this project a successful one. In this remote world, we deeply value your ability to work independently and allocate time sensibly while communicating with high emotional intelligence.
We are enriched by the diversity of approach and perspective across our team, and are excited to deepen our understanding with your contributions. The opportunity to put an amazing consumer experience in the hands of a large audience motivates us to move quickly and put our best work forward. If this resonates with you, we look forward to meeting you!
- Demonstrated experience working across the full web stack
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- An ability to learn and apply new technologies to improve a product
- Proven knowledge of U.S. electoral politics and election results reporting systems
- Experience with web applications at significant scale (billion+ daily transactions)
- Remote friendly
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and a desire to learn new technologies.
- Ability to create and maintain clear, concise, and well-constructed documentation
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate with product managers, programmers and testers
- Outstanding creativity and strong commitment to a project
- Passion for web standards, content management, web page layout, information architecture, user interaction, and usability
- Ability to multi-task effectively in a high-volume environment
- Strong follow-up abilities with an acute attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team, as well as independently
- Required to work well under time constraints
- Ability to actively listen and incorporate feedback for continuous improvement.