Sr. Litigation Paralegal
About the Job
HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world's most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
Perform Paralegal duties for pending cases being handled by in-house and outside counsel. Respond to subpoenas received by the company. Gather data relating to claims and litigation from throughout the company, and assist with review and production.
The Senior Litigation Paralegal will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
- Analyzes subpoenas received by the company.
- Identifies & contacts individuals who may have responsive documents/information, searches their files (including electronic files), and reviews/analyzes documents (including electronic information) for "privilege" & other issues.
- Conducts factual & basic legal research using computer data bases such as LEXIS & NEXIS, Pacer, various court databases, and those found on the Internet as well as libraries & other information sources.
- Responds to inquiries/requests by outside counsel, risk management, and others within the legal department.
- Assists in preparation of supervising attorneys for arbitrations, mediations, meetings, & other appearances.
- Performs various related tasks as requested by supervising attorneys.
- May represent company in small claims court matters, assists in supervising small personal injury lawsuits, and administers bankruptcy claims.
- Organizes and maintains investigation and litigation files.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- College degree in related field required.
- Completion of paralegal school/certification preferred.
- Minimum 7+ years of legal experience at a professional level required.
- In-house paralegal experience, including entertainment industry experience, strongly preferred.
- Must have excellent PC and database skills including knowledge of MS Word & Excel, ability to perform internet database searches, and ability to work within corporate and external databases.
- Knowledge of the law and experience with a legal environment and the entertainment industry
- Must be highly organized and experienced at tracking multiple matters simultaneously.
- Must be able to communicate effectively & tactfully with all levels of personnel, in person, telephonically and by email.
- Must have excellent document organization skills.
- Must be able to pay close attention to detail and understand written & oral instructions.
- Must be able to work well under time constraints, in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and work independently.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including possible overtime, when necessary.
- Must be highly motivated, show initiative and be a "self-starter".