Software Eng II, Service Frameworks
About the Job
HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world's most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO Max is the future of entertainment and storytelling.
WarnerMedia's streaming entertainment offering, HBO Max launched in May 2020 and is the culmination of some of the most innovative new technology and greatest creative talent in the industry. Anchored by the entire HBO service, arguably the greatest brand in television, HBO Max also features fan favorites from the WarnerMedia library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. HBO Max is home to key third-party library acquisitions such as Friends, South Park and Doctor Who, and more than 50 exclusive Originals in its first year, from the likes of groundbreaking creative talent such as J.J. Abrams, Ridley Scott, Jordan Peele, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann, Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Anna Kendrick, Greg Berlanti, Melissa McCarthy, Robert Zemeckis and other visionaries. Find out more information at HBOMax.com.
We're a team with a large impact at HBO Max. We are responsible for building and improving the foundational libraries and generator tools used by all the service teams for HBO Max. We help scale the backend of HBO Max by introducing and developing automated systems to update API contracts and systems. Our foundational libraries, namely the Middleware, is a collection of libraries that enable backend services to make service-to-service calls, upload logging and metrics, standardize i18n, and access our datastores with standard failover patterns. Our generator tools, named the Generator, bundles this Middleware to enable developers to easily generate new backend services with endpoints, routes, and schemas right out of the box.
- Work with stakeholders and partner teams to develop new or update existing libraries that connect services to other services and datastores
- Propose, prototype, deploy, and integrate architectural improvements that scale HBO Max to millions of concurrent users
- Leading operational best practices by example: develop and standardize operational mechanisms that apply to hundreds of services and dozens of teams that make up HBO Max
- Help define team software standards and engineering best practices
- Seek self-improvement and are adaptable to suggestions and feedback
- Hold yourself to high standards while maintaining friendly, respectful relationships
- BS degree in Computer Science, or related field with 2+ years of experience
- Success in delivering and operating reliable low-latency, services operating in a 24x7 environment
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms (AWS, Google app engine, Azure, Kubernetes)
The Nice to Haves
- Experience building common service libraries in an enterprise service environment
- Experience architecting cross platform libraries or supporting multiple language libraries
- Full-stack industry experience, or hands-on familiarity with both client and server technology
- Have led the design, implementation, and delivery of large engineering projects that interacted with multiple teams
- Have experience as a team resource, growing other engineers and defining team software standards and engineering best practices
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands