Software Eng I, Messaging Platform
About the Job
HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world's most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO Max is the future of entertainment and storytelling
WarnerMedia's streaming entertainment offering, HBO Max launched in May 2020 and is the culmination of some of the most innovative new technology and greatest creative talent in the industry. Anchored by the entire HBO service, arguably the greatest brand in television, HBO Max also features fan favorites from the WarnerMedia library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. HBO Max is home to key third-party library acquisitions such as Friends, South Park and Doctor Who, and more than 50 exclusive Originals in its first year, from the likes of groundbreaking creative talent such as J.J. Abrams, Ridley Scott, Jordan Peele, Steven Soderbergh, Michael Mann, Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Anna Kendrick, Greg Berlanti, Melissa McCarthy, Robert Zemeckis and other visionaries. Find out more information at HBOMax.com.
We are the team responsible for the messaging platform of HBO Max. This platform is used to communicate with HBO members across the entire customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to onboarding, engagement, and retention. We enable our product and marketing teams to reach millions of our customers, notifying them about new shows, providing personalized content recommendations, and alerting when there are account issues. We leverage a variety of communication channels, such as push notifications and email, to reach customers wherever they prefer to be contacted.
As a Software Engineer on the Messaging Platform team, you will build and manage services that scale to support millions of customers, across a wide range of devices and surfaces. You will need to orchestrate messages across multiple notification platforms and messaging providers, as well as support the multiple products and brands available at HBO. Your services are expected to drive improvements in customer engagement and churn reduction. You will also partner with our data and experimentation platform teams, to ensure that we have the ability to send messages to custom segments and test different experiences among multiple groups, to see which works the best.
- Build and support a message orchestration platform that allows product and marketing teams to reach customers across a wide range of surfaces (email, mobile devices, connected TVs, etc.)
- Have a deep understanding of software data structures and algorithms
- Be a self-starter that can independently solve complex engineering problems
- Maintain high quality coding standards for yourself and your team
- Design and deliver components of a complex architecture or distributed system
- Be passionate about software engineering with a strong sense of ownership for the code that you and your team write
- Seek self-improvement and are adaptable to suggestions and feedback
- Hold yourself and your team to high standards while maintaining friendly, respectful relationships
- BS degree in Computer Science, or a related field with 2+ years of relevant experience
The Nice to Haves
- Experience with messaging and notification APIs (Firebase, APNs)
- Experience with customer relationship management platforms (Braze)
- Full-stack industry experience, or hands-on familiarity with both client and server technology
- Success in delivering and operating reliable low-latency, services operating in a 24x7 environment
- Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- Access to in-house learning and development resources
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands