Overnight Editor, Digital News
About the Job
The Digital News Editor edits national breaking news content as a part of the national news desk for CNN Digital. The editor will be a member of the overnight breaking news team.
This is a best-in-class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas. A true partner with writers in identifying distinctive angles on top stories and finding ways to make stories great. News editors are multi-skilled and talented in that they know how to edit as an editor and read as a reader. They can copy edit and save bacon daily from honest mistakes big and small. They can curate and tag. They can SEO. They know what stories -- in either text or video -- should be linked up. They know when attribution is needed and when it's overkill. They know the difference between a first version digital story that is 'good enough to go' and when to hold to get more -- and when that line is unclear, they know to ask.
This position will be based in Atlanta but will begin virtually.
- The editor will edit breaking news from writers on the national breaking news team.
- All Digital News Editors edit stories from a wide range of sources including:
- The digital news writers
- Other writers across CNN Digital, worldwide
- Contributors including opinion columnists and external contributors
- Field teams who may not be able to sit and write but can give great material by phone, Slack, etc on the ground from any corner of the world
- Editors will turn that material into a story or a powerful anecdote in an existing story.
- Anywhere else in CNN -- we have interns, APs, producers, reporters and correspondents and anchors throughout the org who may get assigned or approved to write for digital platforms.
- Editors may be assigned specialty areas by shift, including being a second set of eyes on homepages, on alerting, on key initiatives that need a good comb thru and/or a creative punch.
- All digital news editors will work with a wide range of copy from a wide range of writers. That means news editors must be excellent communicators and diplomats. They are excellent providers of feedback and help elevate CNN's storytelling across a wide range of digital platforms.
- Editors will be called on to write as needed -- their bylines will be occasionally seen solo or as a contributing name.
- It's a varied job -- some days may be fast and furious with edits on a single and fast-flowing developing story. Some days will have a wide range of pieces in different forms and formats to edit -- an enterprise story, a newsletter, an opinion piece, a story from a correspondent in a war zone.
- And last but never least: Editors are often the final step before a story goes to the programming team to get distributed to millions of people worldwide - all news editors work intently to make sure our stories are accurate and fair so that we continue to grow the trust between CNN and our audiences.
- Experience editing fast-moving breaking news.
- Experience helping writers frame their stories for a national audience.
- Experience curating stories and other content for a digital audience.
- A clear understanding of style and grammar.
- 4 or more years editorial experience.
- College degree or equivalent preferred
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
- 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
- 2018 Best Company for Dads
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands