Mgr, (Lead) UX Research, Content Discovery
About the Job
HBO is one of the most respected and innovative entertainment brands in the world, serving iconic, award-winning programming to 140 million subscribers globally. A subsidiary of WarnerMedia, HBO is the world's most successful pay TV service with an extensive array of programming that includes some of the most notable titles to be on television, including drama series Succession®, Watchmen®, Westworld®, Big Little Lies®, Game of Thrones®, The Sopranos®, Band of Brothers® and The Wire®, as well as comedy series Barry®, Insecure® and Sex and the City®. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
UX Research is an essential part of the HBO Max product design process ensuring the viewer experience is as rewarding and user-friendly as it is entertaining. As a Manager and Lead, UX Researcher for Content Discovery, you will develop and manage a research program for the Content Discovery and Player Experience work streams equipping product design teams with high impact research from early stage exploratory UX research to later stage usability testing for feature launch. The Lead works closely with teams to apply the findings in ways. The focus for this role is around continuous generation and iteration of new ways for viewers to explore and experience content on HBO Max across all supported devices (TV, phone, tablet, desktop) and platforms. The Lead is responsible for the design and delivery of highly impactful, robust, and inclusive research practices and the generation of insights which serve our viewers and promote listening to diverse perspectives among our teams. The Lead is a member of the UX Research team and collaborates with peers to inform overall research priorities, establish best practices, develop operational processes, provide coaching managing and training to team members.
- 5+ of practical work experience as a Lead or Senior UX
- Create and manage a research program for Content Discovery and bring a user-centered design approach to the strategy and design of the HBO Max explore and play experience.
- Collaborate with designers, project managers, and engineers to identify research roadmap activities to support product feature releases and future concepts for exploration.
- Lead team innovation sprints and incorporate user centered design activities throughout the product design process.
- Plan and conduct all research including, project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication.
- Conduct feature prioritization and benchmarking studies to identify user needs and evaluate success of HBO Max.
- Plan and conduct research within an Agile framework including, project scoping, scheduling, budgeting, staffing, recruiting, legal logistics, technical logistics, study moderation, data analysis, reporting, and team communication. Depending on the scope and complexity of research, you may plan and execute studies as a sole researcher or you may lead and manage a small team to perform the work.
- Depending on the scope and complexity of research, you may plan and execute studies as a sole researcher or you may lead and manage a small team to perform the work.
- Initiate and oversee the execution of each research effort. Work with a cross-functional team to prioritize areas of focus for research.
- Consult on human factors, UCD best practices, and recommend research activities.
- Manage, supervise, and support junior to senior UX Researchers.
- Vet, hire, and manage outside vendors as needed to support the work.
- Help grow the UXR team's expertise, explore new ways to discover user insights, acquire new tools and resources for the lab, and help teams understand and apply best practices.
- 5+ of practical work experience as a Lead or Senior UX
- Experience working on digital media and entertainment experiences involving content search, browse, and play
- Experience testing TV consoles and remotes, gaming consoles and remotes, phone, tablet, desktop, and voice.
- 5+ years experience as a Lead or Senior UX. Researcher, with more than 8 years working in UX research
- Graduate degree in Engineering Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or a closely related field.
- Experience working on interdisciplinary product development teams with large stakeholder groups
- 2+ or more years managing junior, mid, or senior level UX researchers
- Project scoping, budgeting, scheduling and resource management of multiple simultaneous user research efforts.
- Expert in experimental design for qualitative research, user-centered design methodology, data analysis, and reporting and communicating results.
- Expert in study session moderation/facilitation for in-depth-interviews, cognitive walkthroughs, usability studies, and contextual inquiry.
- Strong command of a broad set of qualitative and quantitative user research methods with the ability to discern and recommend the right method(s) for a project.
- Demonstrated ability to define and implement Agile UX research practices.
- Strong client-management skills; ability to adapt to a variety of individual styles and approaches in order to deliver the appropriate insights and support each requires