Dir, US and Canada Payroll Operations
About the Job
Warner Bros. has been entertaining audiences for more than 90 years through the world's most-loved characters and franchises. Warner Bros. employs people all over the world in a wide variety of disciplines. We're always on the lookout for energetic, creative people to join our team.
It's an exciting time at WarnerMedia. We are seeking a Director, North America Payroll, who will be a member of the Global Payroll Leadership team within HR Services and oversee the payroll processing of over 20,000 employees. The Director is the owner of payroll processes and procedures ensuring best practice operations, implementation of changes for continuous improvement in accuracy and efficiency, and compliance with applicable laws, collective bargaining agreements, and company policies. A strong sense of curiosity, patience, and flexibility is essential. The Director should be committed to coaching and mentoring payroll team members. A genuine empathy for our employee population, our partners in HR, Legal, Benefits, Technology, and our team members is required.
- Lead the day to day operations of the North America multi-state payroll function servicing over 20,000 employees and 50 legal entities, with oversight of hours to gross calculations, taxes, garnishments, benefit deductions, union pension health and welfare contributions, payroll accounting, paycheck printing, and disbursement.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies and procedures to ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll in accordance with company policies, legislative compliance requirements, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Drive process standardization, automation, and continuous process improvement to ensure efficiency and effectiveness.
- Support testing of HR and payroll system changes and enhancements.
- Coach and mentor staff to ensure each person excels individually and as a team with a focus on customer service and operational excellence.
- Act as point of escalation and work to identify, track, document, and resolve issues and risks proactively with timely further escalation of unresolved items to senior management.
- Assist key stakeholders by providing information needed for the timely processing of general ledger activities, account reconciliation, treasury, tax and other financial processes as needed.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls and support internal and external audits including audits with federal and state tax authorities.
- Develop high quality deliverables and presentations catered to the audience and with close attention to detail.
- Design and assemble project plans and execute deliverables per agreed upon milestones.
- Partner with HR, Legal, Benefits, and Technology to implement and run any special initiatives and programs (e.g. bonus processing, acquisitions, changes in vendors, etc.)
- Develop relationships and oversee services of outside payroll related vendors for taxes and garnishments, and non-US payroll processing services.
- Maintain confidentiality of payroll and employee information.
- Support other projects and activities, as defined by senior leadership and/or enterprise activities, as directed and required.
- 10+ years of experience in a payroll service delivery function.
- 7+ years of management/supervisory experience in a payroll environment.
- Understanding of, and experience with, core aspects of the Workday payroll module required.
- Non-US Payroll Vendor management experience a plus.
- Deep operational and technical payroll knowledge including payroll taxes and benefits.
- Strong finance skills with experience in SAP, Oracle EBS, PeopleSoft HCM or Financials a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance/Accounting, HR, or equivalent experience.
- CPP, FPC, CPA or similar certification a plus.
- Strong leadership skills and persuasive communicator with a vision
- Possess a strong work ethic; self-motivated with a desire to take initiative and look for ways to improve payroll processes and create efficiencies
- Ability to manage complex work within tight deadlines.
- Ability to think strategically and manage expectations in a high-touch environment
- Ability to work closely with senior executives on individual payroll needs
- Ability to partner with various stakeholders to effectively address issues; ability to proactively anticipate problems, identify opportunities and confidently define solutions/ initiatives to address business needs.
- Must have the ability to tailor communication and messaging with varying levels of the organization; excellent written and verbal communication skills (excellent quality of deliverables).
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel required
- Proficiency with MS Visio and MS PowerPoint a plus.