Copy Editor, Weekend Night
About the Job
This is our story
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it's like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Turner Services Inc seeks a Copy Editor, CNN Weekend Night for the Turner Services Inc. department.
A CNN Copy Editor checks scripts for accuracy, style, balance, conformity to EP's instructions and CNN Standards. These duties include checking source material, verifying font and tape information and printing scripts when they are ready for air. Copy editors may be called upon to write some scripts. A copy editor may also be asked to review a writer's performance. The copy editor is expected to be a close adviser to the producer on any editorial issues or problems that arise with assigned scripts.
- Editing copy, so scripts are easy to understand, more interesting and more user-friendly
- Work toward compelling, conversational anchor copy that is accurate and up to date
- Print scripts when ready
- Check accuracy of all components of program, including graphics and other on-air editorial elements
- Rework scripts when necessary
- Work to improve network-wide accuracy by pointing out errors if/when they occur in Wires
- CNN or other resources, or on the air
- Demonstrate a strong familiarity with CNN Stylebook and CNN Legal Standards to ensure consistency that increases CNN's credibility
- Demonstrate proficiency with CNN font codes to make our on-air product look smart and communicate useful information clearly
- Correct format scripts with instructions to director on left side
- View video and graphics to make sure scripts and images match
- 5 years full time broadcast news writing and/or editing required; 7 years desirable
- Four-year college degree or equivalent in proven industry experience required
- Editing skills-checking accuracy, balance, language, style
- Ability to produce quality work quickly
- Flexibility-ability to adapt during breaking news, ability to adapt to program or anchor style and rewrite when necessary
- Must be eager, cooperative, energetic, team-oriented
- Leadership- leads writer team and takes active role in many aspects of program preparation
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands