Medical Science Liaison (New England)
About the Job
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL), with support and guidance from peers and management, will serve as a scientific liaison to the medical/academic community and is responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with Health Care Providers/Professionals (HCPs) to ensure the appropriate dissemination of clinical and scientific information regarding Vertex’s compounds in a timely, ethical and stakeholder-focused manner. The MSL will contribute to shaping the medical plan by providing external stakeholders' insights and contribute to the design and execution of the Medical Affairs strategy and plan. The MSL will engage HCPs in response to scientific educational and research needs with available Vertex resources and provide the latest emerging data in response to specific inquiries, as appropriate.
• Through scientific exchange, develops trusting relationships with a predefined list of medical and scientific Thought Leaders and other HCPs
• Applies principles of the Scientific Engagement Model (SEM) to enhance the quality of interactions as assessed by field coaching observations
• Incorporates the medical plan (i.e. listening priorities) into interactions and captures feedback in the CRM system with appropriate oversight by management, to inform internal stakeholders and assist in shaping the medical strategy
• With guidance from management, utilizes the CRM system and analytics reports to capture interaction details in a time sensitive manner and to enhance future TL engagements and manage workload
• Exchanges scientific information effectively and compliantly with external stakeholders at a proficient level of communication for both disease state and product to external stakeholders as assessed by management coaching and field observations
• Conceptual and practical knowledge of local and regional payers within the geography and understands the relationships between those plans and patient care delivery in the region
• Assists clinical development/clinical operations by understanding IB content and presenting IB content and presenting IB material at SIV meetings, providing nominations for trial sites as requested, providing end of study data reviews with investigators as needed
• With guidance from management, represents Vertex at medical congresses by providing scientific session/abstract coverage, booth staffing coverage, routine TL interactions, contributing to the daily and end of congress summaries
• After initial guidance, independently performs and completes, in a timely manner, administrative tasks such as CRM entry, vehicle mileage reporting, expense reporting, calendar entries, trainings assignments, etc. and conducts all activities in compliance with Vertex Policy and Procedures
Required Education Level:
• Minimum requirement for advanced biomedical or life sciences degree (Masters, NP, PA)
• Preference for terminal degree in the biomedical or life sciences (DO, MD, PharmD, PhD)
• Typically requires a minimum of 1 to 2 years of experience as a MSL, in medical affairs, pharma/biotech industry, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
• Previous training or experience in designated therapeutic area is helpful
• Ability to complete goals within allotted timeframes, and deliver high quality results
• Ability to initiate, plan and complete projects in a constantly changing field-based environment
• Ability to identify issues and create solutions
• Ability to critically appraise and comprehend medical and scientific literature
• Ability to effectively present clinical/scientific information in a credible manner in varied settings
• Good knowledge and understanding of assigned geographic territory and healthcare regulatory environment
• Ability to use Microsoft Office programs and to work in a matrix environment
• Ability to apply knowledge of relevant disease and disease management protocols, healthcare environment and competitors to articulate the medical and scientific value of Vertex products
• Demonstrated good understanding around the compliance and regulatory frameworks that govern the pharmaceutical industry and conducts compliant interactions with internal and external stakeholders.
• Possess general working knowledge of payers and unique medical information needs to support access and appropriate use of Vertex medicines
• Working knowledge of Health Economics and Outcomes Research
• Has working knowledge of local/regional payers within geography and the relationships between those plans and patient care delivery in the region
• Fluent in English & Local Language (oral and written)
Indicate required certifications, licenses or specialized trainings.
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
• Ability to travel overnight up to 70%, depending on assigned geography; including occasional weekend travel
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.