Chief Enterprise Cloud Architect
About the Job
Vanguard is currently engaged in a multi-year, strategically important, change initiative aimed at transforming the IT division from a reactive cost center to a proactive service provider across all sub-divisions. One of the major components of this initiative is the cloud computing program. This program is currently in progress and focused on architecting, designing, and implementing infrastructure, platform, and application services to support public cloud-based workloads.
The Chief Enterprise Cloud Architect will work as part of the cloud computing program within the Chief Technology Office (CTO) to define and validate the public cloud architecture roadmap and provide technical direction to the platform and application development teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides the architectural leadership in shaping strategic technology programs (e.g., Enterprise Technology Strategy), which focus on Cloud Computing initiatives. Continuously pursues expert-level level technical acumen:
- Establishes working relationships with strategic and boutique technology providers.
- Leverages knowledge capital available through subscription research services.
- Leverages the Internet as a critical resource for related knowledge capital, inclusive of blogs, podcasts, webinar, etc.
- Attends conferences and engages in associated activities (e.g., conducting presentations, leading workshops, etc.).
- Consumes and contributes content from and to Open Source communities.
Provides architecture thought leadership and expertise. Defines reference and implementation architectures. Produces technology roadmaps in support of IT’s vision and strategy. Develops proof-of-concept prototypes and initial implementation models. Monitors implementation activity to ensure architecture and design principles are upheld. Ensures implementation solutions support architecture objectives (availability, scalability, performance, security, etc.), as appropriate. Participates in governance team discussions and provides a strong voice on critical decisions. Utilizes advanced leadership skills especially in the areas of persuasion, influence, conceptualizing solutions and problem solving. Communicates complicated technical concepts effectively to a broad group of stakeholders. Establishes relationships with IT leaders, architects, and technical specialists for the purpose of advancing proposed architectural solutions. Coaches and mentors more junior enterprise architects. Utilizes a general understanding of the competitive landscape and corporate and business unit strategies to provide context for architectural decision making.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- An undergraduate degree in a Computer Science-related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A minimum of eight to ten years broad senior technical experience.
- Public cloud expertise in AWS, with specific experience in VPC, Route53, CloudFront, CloudWatch, EC2, ECS, EKS, IAM, KMS, S3, EBS, RDS, ElastiCache, DynamoDB, Kinesis, Lambda, and API Gateway.
- Broad and deep knowledge across numerous IT infrastructures, platforms, tools, and technologies, both architecturally and operationally (e.g., microservices, Java, Spring, Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, Spinnaker, DevOps, and security).
- Experience migrating legacy applications to a service-oriented, cloud-optimized architecture within a large IT shop.
- The aptitude to conceptualize solutions to highly complicated technology opportunities and defend technical decisions, with facts and research.
- An enjoyment in deepening existing technical skills and learning new ones.
- The ability to participate actively in deep-dive technical discussions and design exercises to create world-class, public cloud-based architectures.
- The prowess to think strategically, execute tactically, and provide technical expertise to both technical and business partners.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively both internally and externally with business and technical audiences.
- AWS certifications.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: “Do the right thing.”
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.