About the Job
WGBO Univision Chicago reporters will be responsible for investigating, producing, writing and presenting accurate, balanced news stories for TV, digital and social media assets. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: daily newsgathering, and reporting as well as appearances at community and station events in a fast-paced, extremely competitive market.
- Research, investigate, interview, write, produce and present news or weather-related reports for TV, station's social media pages, other company broadcasts, websites and printed publications as assigned.
- Write and proofread copy for accuracy prior to going on air.
- Ability to think on your feet during live shots and great story telling skills.
- Research, investigate, interview, write, produce and report daily news packages, special news series or weather-related stories on tape and/or live from the field.
- Establish a good working-relationship with newscast producers and co-anchors to ensure a well-paced, accurate and informative broadcast.
- Must be a strong and fast writer and have solid news judgment.
- Attend and participate in off-site company-sponsored and community events as assigned by station management.
- Work flexible hours, including holidays, weekends and evenings.
- Knowledge of public records laws and computer assisted reporting.
- Knowledge of journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Must be able to handle deadlines and pressure well.
- Strong knowledge of social networking regarding content gathering and distribution.
Required Skills & Experience
- High school diploma required.
- Prior experience in Spanish language broadcasting is preferred.
- Must be fully bilingual in English and Spanish. Written and oral communication skills required.
- Must have working knowledge of television news photography and technology.
- Must have and maintain a good driving record and a valid driver's license, along with the ability to drive daily.
- Personal computer experience required, including non-linear editing equipment.
- Must be able to multi-task, work well under extreme pressure, and communicate effectively.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Broadcast news experience as reporter, producer, assignment desk or photographer/editor preferred.
- Preferred: Knowledge of the Chicago market and local contacts.
- College degree in Journalism, Communication Studies, Radio-TV-Film, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Must be willing to work from office in Chicago, IL.
- Employment/education will be verified.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.