Manufacturing Operator II - Eugene, OR
About the Job
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
Position exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. Normally receives general instruction on routine work, detailed instruction on new assignments. Job encounters recurring work situations with occasional variations from the norm, involving a moderate degree of complexity. Works on problems where analysis of situation or data requires a review of identifiable factors. Accuracy is required in performing all functions of this position as mistakes in work could cause substantial interpretive errors.
How will you make an impact?
- Manufacture and build finished good work orders
- Formulate material to adhere to final packaging specifications
- Weigh, measure and verify the quality of raw materials
- Perform equations to assure batches manufactured contain proper materials and quantities.
- Operate processing and packaging equipment; such as spectrophotometers, balances, pipettes, sonicators, pumps, filtration systems, and other processing instruments.
- Safely handle a range of hazardous chemicals
- Calibrate/operate semi-automated and automated manufacturing equipment.
- Perform in-process sampling and testing to assure batches meet specification.
- Make detailed observations and basic data analysis. Maintain complete and thorough lab notebook and training file. Advise supervisor of factors that may affect quality, accuracy, timeliness and usefulness of data. Suggest options / ideas for additional experiments. Fill out SOPs.
- Troubleshoot experiments with assistance from supervisor,
- Contribute ideas and suggestions to improve standard laboratory techniques, improve protocols, processes and equipment. Maintains accurate lab notebook, & training file in accordance with Division standard.
- Comply with all company safety regulations and procedures. Report non-compliance and may serve as team lead.
- With supervisor’s guidance, become familiar with literature directly associated with assigned project and transmit information gathered to other members of the scientific team.
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
How will you get here?
- Preferred Bachelors degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or other related discipline or the equivalent knowledge and experience.
Requires 1-2 yrs experience in a laboratory setting, manufacturing experience is as plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of basic laboratory techniques, equipment and materials required. Assimilation of procedures and creation of lab work instructions where necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out instructions required.
- Demonstrated ability to improve instructions or correct a previously unknown problem with instructions. Troubleshooting within normal protocol parameters.
- Demonstrated ability to keep clear and accurate experimental records.
Measures of Contribution/Impact
Contributes actionable ideas and suggestion to improve standard laboratory techniques. Demonstrated use of laboratory techniques and limited errors. Presentation to scientific peers, supervisors and advisors.
Works in a laboratory environment. Is required to lift up to 40 lbs. May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties. Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials. Must be able to work overtime and flexible shifts.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.