AI Engineer Intern – IT Digital Engineering
About the Job
When you are part of the team of more than 75,000 extraordinary minds at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you will do work with broad societal impact: helping customers find cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe, and much more. Your work will have real-world impact. Thermo Fisher is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies, or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Our intern program will give you a chance to get real world business and IT experience and build your network before graduation. In this position, you will be expected to learn about how IT supports our business units with software and AI expertise. You will focus on developing AI solutions that will make our scientific instruments smarter and enable the next generation of scientific discovery. You can expect to gain valuable insights into your chosen career field.
Summary of Internship
The IT Digital Engineering AI Engineer Intern position provides an opportunity for students who are currently pursuing a data science, computer science, computer engineering, or similar degree to get hands on experience working with AI engineers and software developers in a fast-paced environment.
The position starts in June, paid working 40 hours per week through August. We are looking for students who are creative in tackling complicated problems and are willing to solve technical challenges.
- Develop AI solutions to help Thermo Fisher improve business and scientific workflows utilizing computer vision technologies
- Collect and prepare images for object detection and image segmentation tasks
- Train deep learning models to detect objects and segment images
- Learn to deploy deep learning models on mobile and edge devices
- Accept candid feedback and look for areas of improvements
- Specific tasks will be tailored to the intern’s experience level and abilities
- An intern works under the close supervision of engineers, project managers, and software engineering managers
Skills and Abilities
- Good programming skills in Python
- Familiarity with at least one deep learning framework such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, MXNet, or others
- Familiarity with AI techniques and algorithms, such as deep learning, CNNs, RNNs, decision trees, clustering, ensembles, etc.
- Familiarity with working in Linux and Windows environments
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Demonstrate a passion for machine learning
- Basic knowledge of statistics, linear algebra, and calculus is preferred
- Basic knowledge in big data analysis is a plus
- Knowledge of Amazon/Microsoft/Google cloud is a plus
- Some exposure to web development is a plus
- Full-time Master’s or PhD student in data science, computer science, computer engineering, or similar field
- Previous Internship Experience
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.