Patient Care Technician (FT) - AL, CSC Museum Campus
About the Job
SCA, a leader in the outpatient surgery industry, strategically partners with health plans, medical groups and health systems across the country to develop and optimize surgical facilities. SCA operates more than 210 surgical facilities, including ambulatory surgery centers and surgical hospitals, in partnership with approximately 7,500 physicians. For more information on SCA, visit www.scasurgery.com.
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Under the supervision of the Registered Nurse, provides quality patient care and is accountable of the duties assigned by the Registered Nurse which comply with state-specific laws for unlicensed assistive personnel. The Patient Care Technician is expected to maintain the nursing objectives and standards of care at the level for which she/he is prepared. The Patient Care Technician does not accept medical orders (direct and/or indirect).
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively organizes time, equipment, supplies, and personnel.
- Uses equipment effectively by anticipating patient needs and providing appropriate care.
- Confirms that proper techniques and procedures are used according to accepted Standards of Practice and organizational policies and procedures.
- Assists with the ordering, receiving, and storage of supplies.
- Maintains order and cleanliness of the work area.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists Registered Nurse with organizing and prioritizing patient care in accordance with the standards of care and organizational policies.
- Assists Registered Nurse in maintaining an environment conducive to patient and personnel safety.
- Demonstrates comfort measures.
- Assists in admission, transfer and discharge procedures.
- Secures patient belongings
- Properly applies restraints/medical assistive devices (i.e. wrist restraints, vests, side rails).
- Follows surgery center infection control policies.
- Ensures identification band/bracelet is on patient.
- Maintains a clutter-free environment.
- Is knowledgeable of aseptic technique and when it is used.
- Is able to demonstrate knowledge of standard precautions and utilize in daily practice.
- Utilizes various communication equipment (i.e. pager system, phone, etc).
- Identifies resources for problem-solving.
- Stays informed of work area activities/changes.
- Supports work flow throughout operating rooms. This includes knowledge of case cart system if applicable and how to obtain additional or missing instruments and/or supplies as requested.
- Processes basic knowledge about surgical equipment and locations.
- Demonstrates ability to provide assistance with routine anesthesia supplies and equipment.
- Assist with informing biomedical technicians about equipment.
- May assume clerical assistant responsibilities.
- Documents care as appropriate for the clinical patient area and under the direction of a Registered Nurse
- Performs duties and tasks specific to the work area assigned.
- Adheres to written policies of the Surgery Center.
- Seeks educational opportunities to increase clinical competence and enhance personal growth.
- Responsible for completing mandatory classes relative to job responsibilities at the Surgery Center as well as for meeting continuing education requirements for certifications.
- Participates in the orientation of new employees as directed by Charge Registered Nurse
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or its (GED) equivalency with satisfactory references
- Must be current in BLS
- Must be prepared for work responsibilities through: certified nursing assistant; or EMT or EMT-P through vocational/technical program; or nursing student who has obtained certification letter from faculty member after completion of clinical rotation; or graduate of a nursing program who did not successfully complete registered nurse licensure examination; or equivalent experience in the field of related discipline equal to the time required to obtain a CNA certification.
- Ability to meet deadlines
We value Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging at Surgical Care Affiliates: SCA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability and genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
- Clear verbal communication skills
- Ability to assist in training newly hired staff on policies, procedures and processes as directed by Registered Nurse
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees, management, physicians, patients, and visitors
- Ability to interact with clients and corporate staff in a professional manner
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to organize and follow through on own initiative
- Basic understanding of the healthcare industry
- Basic understanding of patient needs
- Good communication skills as it pertains to human relations
- Effectively interface with all areas of the surgery center
- Basic knowledge of healthcare related documentation/systems
- Basic working knowledge of medical equipment
- Working knowledge of healthcare culture and processes
- Basic knowledge of computer spreadsheets and word processing