About the Job
Thermo Fisher Scientific is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $25 billion, 75,000 employees and one of the largest investments in R&D in the industry. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Ion Torrent, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. When you are part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, such as helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals. You will be part of a successful, growing global organization that values performance, quality and innovation.
Our Genetic Sciences Division (GSD) based in South San Francisco is at the forefront of innovation for genetic analysis research and clinical applications. The Genetic Testing Solutions business within GSD is a cross-platform organization designed to accelerate growth in the clinical space. The team is dedicated to working across all genetic analysis platforms with focus on high-growth opportunities – developing products/solutions for key applied clinical markets such as infectious disease, pharmacogenomics, public health and oncology. The portfolio and pipeline include both RUO and IVD products.
The Strategy Manager will focus on addressing key strategic questions facing the GTS Clinical business as it rapidly expands as a leader in COVID-19 testing. With its broad portfolio and ability to leverage the scale and capabilities of Thermo Fisher Scientific, this is an opportunity to impact a rapidly growing molecular diagnostic business that is already at the forefront of COVID-19 testing and beyond. The Strategy Manager will collaborate both with the Product Management organization as well as supporting functions (R&D, Operations etc.) to drive the growth of the business.
- Support the development and execution of strategic projects relating to the Genetic Testing Solutions Clinical business unit
- Support business unit annual strategic planning process, product management efforts, and special projects as they arise (e.g., M&A due diligence, competitive analysis)
- Support business unit and corporate special projects and presentations as required by Division President or C-Suite
- Perform regular market landscape and competitive analyses and articulate the impact on the GTS Clinical business unit
How will you get there?
- Bachelor’s degree in life science, engineering, businesses, economics or related field. MBA or similar advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 4-5 years professional experience in consulting, corporate strategy, and/or market analysis; at least 2 years in a top-tier management consulting firm
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, project management, communication and presentation skills
- Strong presence; ability to influence and communicate with business leadership
- Work cross-functionally across a matrixed organization
- Highly self-motivated with ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and initiatives
- Knowledge of molecular testing methods utilized in clinical applications and their strengths/differentiation relative to conventional diagnostics methods.
- Familiar with qPCR, CE, Microarray and NGS platforms is helpful
- Familiar with global trends on adoption of molecular testing
- Understands organizational requirements to design life sciences products/solutions