Senior Bioinformatics Software Engineer
About the Job
The department of Computational Biology is seeking a highly motivated and creative Senior Bioinformatics Software Engineer to develop software used in big data bioinformatics analysis as part of a team of scientists and engineers at the forefront of genomic research into catastrophic childhood diseases. This position is available in the following focus area:
- Architecting and developing software and data management solutions in St. Jude’s high-performance computing (HPC) environment. Primary responsibilities will be development of software infrastructure supporting large-scale automation of reproducible bioinformatics pipelines, development of strategic data storage solutions, leadership in the development and deployment of bioinformatics tools and pipelines. Knowledge of Bash and Python is required. Experience with workflow languages (WDL and CWL), containerization (Docker, Singularity), and HPC software management systems (Lmod, Spack) are preferred. Must be able to work with complex large-scale systems, including legacy and externally developed code. Experience in a bioinformatics or big data setting is required.
This position requires working within a team of software developers, writing and maintaining documentation relevant to the position’s scope of work, writing and maintaining unit tests for software, and assisting in preparing and submitting manuscripts.
Recognized as a world leader in mapping the genetic landscape of pediatric cancers, the St. Jude department of Computational Biology has developed state-of-art computational infrastructure, well-established analytical pipelines, and deep genomic analysis expertise with a track record of high-impact publications in top-tier biomedical journals such as Nature, NEJM, JAMA, Nature Genetics, and Nature Methods. The department provides a highly interactive environment with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments, access to high performance computing clusters, cloud computing environment, innovative visualization tools, highly automated analytical pipelines and mentorship from faculty scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management, and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects.
This position is located in Memphis, TN, and relocation assistance is available.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, physical science, or related field required
- Master's degree or PHD is preferred
- Eight (8) years of experience in software development is required
- Four (4) years of experience may be acceptable with a Master's degree
- Zero years of experience may be acceptable with a PhD
- Experience with Linux is required
- Experience working with large data sets or bioinformatics data is required
- Experience working with HPC schedulers (LSF, Slurm, Torque, Moab, SGE, etc.) is required
- Experience working distributed storage (blob storage, GPFS / Spectrum Scale, Lustre, Hadoop, Spark, etc.) is required
- Experience with one or more interpreted languages (Python, Bash, R, etc.) is required
- Experience with one or more compiled languages (C/C++, Rust, Go, etc.) is required
- Experience with one or more workflow languages (CWL, WDL, Nextflow) is required
- Experience with database development and SQL is required
- Experience working with cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP) and containerization (Docker, Singularity, Kubernetes) is preferred.
No Search Firms:
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.