PHP/Laravel Full Stack Developer (Software Development Engineer)
About the Job
We are looking to hire a PHP/Laravel Developer who is highly motivated and capable of developing cutting-edge web-based applications as part of St. Jude’s groundbreaking platform, St. Jude Cloud. This team member will work on an agile development team alongside team members as well as world-class researchers to devise novel web applications for working with raw and curated genomics data for a user base ranging from oncologists to bioinformatics research scientists.
This position requires being aware of emerging technologies, platforms, frameworks, and bioinformatics web portals to ensure St. Jude Cloud’s web applications exceed industry standards. The successful candidate has a moderate amount of Laravel/PHP and VueJS experience. Candidates with experience in other modern web development frameworks are still encouraged to apply. Basic understanding of web development frameworks and scripting languages is preferred. Experience in database design is preferred. The candidate is expected to be a creative and critical thinker and a quick learner for new domains and technologies.
Recognized as a world leader in mapping the genetic landscape of pediatric cancers, the St. Jude department of Computational Biology has developed state-of-art computational infrastructure, well-established analytical pipelines, and deep genomic analysis expertise with a track record of high-impact publications in top-tier biomedical journals such as Nature, NEJM, JAMA, Nature Genetics, and Nature Methods.
The department provides a highly interactive environment with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments, access to high performance computing clusters, cloud computing environment, innovative visualization tools, highly automated analytical pipelines and mentorship from faculty scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management, and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects. This position is located in Memphis, TN, and relocation assistance is available.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. St. Jude does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, sex, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, age, religion, disability, veteran's status or disabled veteran's status with respect to employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment. St. Jude engages in affirmative action to increase employment opportunities for minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Develop cutting-edge web-based applications for working with raw and curated genomics data
- Work closely with a development team to design and develop features that will empower our users
- Contribute to project priorities and deliverables
- Measure and improve site performance and scalability
- Write performant, maintainable code that can handle heavy data loads and user traffic
- Uphold a high standard of writing, testing, and reviewing code
- Participation in development lifecycle tasks such as task estimation and sprint planning
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, physical science, or related field required
- Master's degree is preferred
- Two (2) years of experience in software development is required
- Zero years of experience may be acceptable with a Master's degree
- Experience with Linux is required
- Experience with database development is preferred
- Experience working with large data sets or bioinformatics data is preferred
- Experience working with HPC schedulers (LSF, Slurm, Torque, Moab, SGE, etc.) is preferred
- Experience working with cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP) and containerization (Docker, Singularity, Kubernetes) is preferred
- Experience working distributed storage (blob storage, GPFS / Spectrum Scale, Lustre, Hadoop, Spark, etc.) is preferred
- Experience with one or more compiled languages (C/C++, Rust, Go, etc.) is preferred
- Experience with one or more workflow languages (CWL, WDL, Nextflow) is preferred
No Search Firms:
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.