Manager Software Development and Operations
About the Job
A Manager of Software Development position is immediately available for a highly motivated candidate to lead the development of St. Jude’s groundbreaking data sharing ecosystem, St. Jude Cloud. This people leader will direct a team of engineers developing the data sharing ecosystem underpinning the world’s largest repository of pediatric cancer genomics data. St. Jude Cloud is comprised of a set of interconnected web applications which share large-scale genomics data, curated genetics data, and many other types of data produced at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital with a user base ranging from oncologists to bioinformatics research scientists. Learn more by visiting this link
This position requires staying abreast of emerging technologies, platforms, frameworks to ensure St. Jude’s software quality exceeds industry standards. All candidates are expected to be a creative and critical thinker and a quick learner for new domains and technologies. Additionally, all candidates must have a demonstrated track record of excellence in people management or project management for at least one year.
Recognized as a world leader in mapping the genetic landscape of pediatric cancers, the St. Jude department of Computational Biology has developed state-of-art computational infrastructure, well-established analytical pipelines, and deep genomic analysis expertise with a track record of high-impact publications in top-tier biomedical journals such as Nature, NEJM, JAMA, Nature Genetics, and Nature Methods. The department provides a highly interactive environment with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments, access to high performance computing clusters, cloud computing environment, innovative visualization tools, highly automated analytical pipelines and mentorship from faculty scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management, and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects. This position is located in Memphis, TN, and relocation assistance is available.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field required
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related field preferred
- Bachelor's degree, eight (8) years of software development experience that includes one year of project and/or people leadership is required
- Master's degree, four (4) years of software development experience that includes one year of project and/or people leadership is required
- Aptitude in programming languages and technologies used by the team is required (specific technologies vary from team to team)
- This may include, among others, experience with large scale computing including HPC, cloud, and/or software development in a containerization approach; expertise in Object-Oriented methodologies, and programming in PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server databases, Python, C, C++, and Java languages
- Knowledge of workflow languages is preferred
- Experience in clinical or medical research and a thorough knowledge of new and emerging technologies and system architectures is preferred
No Search Firms:
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.