Bioinformatics Research Scientist- Neurological Disease
About the Job
The Mefford Lab in the Center for Pediatric Neurological Disease Research at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital uses genome-wide approaches to identify genetic, genomic and epigenetic causes of human disease including epilepsy, and related pediatric neurodevelopmental disorders. The major focus of our current work is to identify causes of pediatric epilepsy by employing state-of-the-art technologies including whole exome sequencing, targeted gene panel sequencing and custom array comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH). The Mefford lab has discovered numerous new epilepsy genes and copy number variants, including deletions of chromosomes 1q21, 15q13 and 17q12, each of which cause a range of clinical features.
The Bioinformatics Research Scientist/Lead Bioinformatics Analyst will take a prominent role in our research and collaborations to analyze multiple types of genomics data: exome and genome sequence, bulk RNA-seq, single cell/nuclei RNA-seq, methylation, SNP array, and others to identify variants associated with human genetic conditions and understand their underlying mechanisms. The ideal candidate will be capable of self-directed research within broader goals set by group, have previous experience with next-generation sequence data analysis highly desirable, knowledge of statistical/mathematical packages such as R.
- Bachelor's degree is required.
- Master’s degree or PHD is preferred.
Bioinformatics Research Scientist
- Seven (7) years of relevant post-degree work experience is required.
- Five (5) years of relevant post-degree work experience is required with a Master's degree.
- Two (2) years of relevant post-degree work experience is required with a PhD.
Lead Bioinformatics Analyst
- Six (6) years of relevant experience is required.
- Four (4) years of relevant experience may be acceptable with a Master’s degree.
- No experience may be acceptable with a PHD in Computer Science or Bioinformatics, with a background in the biological sciences.
- Experience in programming (Python, Java, C/C++, perl or other programming/scripting languages) under linux/unix environment is required.
- Experience with and the ability to deal with a wide range of users is required.
- Experience of independent data analyses and project management is required.