About the Job
The Sales Manager is responsible for assisting in the overall execution of the Owensboro Convention Center's sales initiatives for the local Owensboro market, including, but not limited to corporate meetings, conferences (with less than 75 hotel rooms on peak nights), and banquets. The Sales Manager will also work with the client on rates and terms of the contract and convey that information to all Departments. The Sales Manager should have strong verbal and written communications skills, the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously, be self-governed and self-motivated, and possess a basic understanding of event sales, public relations, advertising and special event planning and execution. The Sales Manager is an intricate part of the sales team and is expected to recognize the value and benefits of teamwork. Open lines of communication within the team are vital to its success and that of the company. The Manager should be active in the community and participate in community events.
- Performs related work as assigned by Director of Sales and General Manager.
- Meets specified goals and objectives for venue usage by promoting the convention center to all potential clients; conducts venue tours; answers questions and provides information regarding venue services, policies and procedures; and assists clients in finalizing booking arrangements
- Primary sales contact for all groups within assigned market(s).
- Ability to exercise independent judgement to determine pricing for events using yield management techniques.
- Set appointments and make outside calls to potential clients.
- Make solicitation calls, assist with promotions and direct mail activities
- Researches, identifies and establishes the appropriateness of groups for the venue.
- Attend industry events and tradeshows as may be required.
- Prepare event contracts, sales folders, sales kits and correspondence to clients.
- Enter and maintain complete and accurate information into EBMS.
- Participates in the development of newsletters and other marketing materials.
- Prepare reports, correspondence, memoranda, and agreements and forecast projections.
- Provide assistance and staff support to the Director of Sales.
- Serve as a liaison with industry representatives, the general public and other convention center departments and divisions.
- Prepare and deliver verbal presentations to groups of various sizes.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Working as a Manager on Duty (MOD) as required
- Work self-promoted events as required.
- Analyzing competitors and target markets
- Provide excellent customer service assistance to internal and external clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum 2-4 years of increasingly responsible experience in sales and/or marketing preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in sales, marketing or other related field strongly preferred
- High school diploma or equivalent GED required
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and select holidays as required, in addition to normal business hours
- Possession of, or ability to obtain a current CPR certificate
- Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid driver's license
Spectra is an equal opportunity employer and our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, handicap, marital status, or any other status or condition protected by Federal and/or State laws, except where bona fide occupational qualifications apply