Ice Arena / Rink Manager
About the Job
The Arena Ice Manager is responsible for overseeing the staff and ice usage. This includes but is not limited to managing rink schedules, skate sharpening and repair, skate rentals, league management and on-ice programing/instructions. The Arena Ice Manager provides leadership and initiative in developing, maximizing and maintaining ice sales and programming. This is balanced with strong customer service ability, team leadership and business acumen. Direct reports include the Assistant Ice Rink Manager and ice rink customer service staff.
This position will work primarily, and be based at, a second sheet of ice that will be used in conjunction with the Xtream Arena Ice, the Coral Ridge Ice Arena. The Coral Ridge Ice Arena is a community ice center, offering a variety of skating classes and camps, and is additionally the home of the Hawkeye Skating Club. The related facility, Xtream Arena, is a 5,100 seat multi-purpose facility, home of the University of Iowa Women's Volleyball team. The Xtream Arena is owned by the community development corporation ArenaCo and managed by Spectra Venue Management.You can learn more about our venues at: https://www.coralridgeice.com/ | www.xtreamarena.com
- Coordinates the use of the ice with local groups ranging from open state to professional level hockey.
- Oversees sound financial management, including overall rental and ice use schedules, tournaments and other marketing strategies.
- Manage subordinate supervisors and managers. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Works closely with hockey and skating associations, scheduling ice usage and making necessary arrangements for the personnel, equipment and materials to be on hand.
- Responsible for promoting and representing facility in a positive manner at all times.
- Investigate, analyze and resolve operational problems and complaints.
- Conduct periodic staff meetings to discuss procedures, problems and policy changes.
- Develop operating procedures that conform to corporate standards, customized to the specific needs of the facility and consistent with the goals and objectives of the client and facility.
- Maintains records of activities and programs, completing reports and making recommendations for improvement to programming.
- Coordinates repairs and preventative maintenance on rink equipment with the assistance of the Director of Operations.
- Responsible for development, implementation, delivery and achievement of the annual operating budget.
- Responsible for assisting the Director of Operations and General Manager with capital planning.
- Schedules all ice usage with all user groups.
- Creates monthly program schedule calendars.
- Manages scheduling and payroll for all direct reports, including submission of all relevant action forms to the Staff Accountant.
- Create and enforce all ice rental contracts.
- Working closely with the finance department, ensures the Accounts Receivable process is managed, payments are processed, and deposits are made.
- Participates in management and company staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Responds to and troubleshoots issues outside of regular working hours.
- Ensures customer inquiries regarding ice rates and availability are addressed in a timely manner.
- Develops and establishes the ice user pool to best utilize ice.
- Books and manages all Birthday Party and group ice rentals.
- Creates annual department marketing plan with Marketing Dept.
- Administers quarterly customer focus groups.
- Develops and coordinates ice programming including "Learn-To" programs and more.
- Works together with user groups during tournaments and special events.
- Schedules ongoing rental skate sharpening and repairs.
- Ensure appropriate levels of staff with safety/first aid/CPR/bloodborne pathogens training per facility policy.
- Prepares and reconciles daily deposits.
- Oversees cash register, float, and verifies the change safe balance daily.
- Compiles monthly attendance figures and submits to Director of Finance.
- Weekly and other reporting required by General Manager and Director of Finance.
- Responsible for building and maintaining ice. Which includes using an ice resurfacer and all other equipment necessary to maintain the highest quality sheet of ice.
- Bachelor's Degree or better from an accredited college or university with major coursework in sports management, business administration, recreation & leisure or other related field - OR - minimum of 7 years of increasingly responsible experience in an ice rink facility or other multi-purpose/multi-sport facility
- Significant knowledge of making and maintaining ice, equipment operations and maintenance.
- Preferably with a minimum of 3 years experience making and maintaining ice and using the ice resurfacer.
- Must possess an advanced knowledge of skating
- Advanced knowledge of hockey and ice programming
- Significant knowledge of youth hockey programming and development
- Significant knowledge of "learn-to" programming and development
- Must be familiar with USA Hockey and US Figure Skating rules, procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of website maintenance and social media platforms including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram
- Familiarity with booking procedures and rental agreements in an ice rink facility preferred
- Familiarity with booking software/POS systems in an ice rink facility preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation, graphic design, PowerPoint and Internet software
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proven leadership skills and staff supervision experience
- Prior experience in team and league management
- CPR, First-Aid and Bloodborne Pathogens trained
Spectra is an equal opportunity employer and our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, handicap, marital status, veteran status, or any other status or condition protected by Federal and/or State laws, except where bona fide occupational qualifications apply.