Director Of Food & Beverage
About the Job
This position is based at the Cross Insurance Arena in the heart of downtown Portland, Maine. Hosting 120+ sporting and entertainment events a year, including 36 home games for our primary ECHL tenant team the Maine Mariners. Our arena's events and the surrounding restaurants, nightlife, and shopping are sure to provide a true New England experience. To find out more about how we transform events into experiences you can visit our website at http://www.crossarenaportland.com
Here at the Cross Insurance Arena the Director of Food & Beverage is responsible for overseeing the execution/service of all catered and concessions events while adhering to Spectra policies and objectives to ensure guest satisfaction, profitability and positive, productive and compliant work environment.
The Director of Food & Beverage is solely responsible for the effective management, operation, and profitable operation of the culinary team(both fulltime and part time staff) including event planning support, scheduling, food preparation and production, food cost control, compliance with food safety and sanitation policies, cleaning, kitchen safety, employee training and supervision. The Director of Food & Beverage must provide a high level of oversight, culinary proficiency and operational/personnel support to ensure the smooth running of all food outlets and events.
This is a key position for the effective and profitable operation of the business. The Director of Food & Beverage must maintain excellent attendance and be available to work a variable event-driven schedule which includes both evenings and weekends. Open availability, professional presentation, outstanding interpersonal skills and self-direction required.
- Provide leadership and support to management and direct reports within the Food and Beverage Department.
- Responsible for upholding Spectra Food Services & Hospitality integrity and standards for quality and service; establish and ensure completion of operational priorities.
- Produce and manage annual budgets; support all food and beverage profit and operational improvement. Reviews weekly, monthly and quarterly financial statements with department managers and Executive Director.
- Implement effective controls for food, beverage and labor costs among all departments.
- Achieve and exceed financial, guest service, and associate metrics goals.
- Identify and assist in resolution of operational deficiencies, deviations and variances to standards. Assist with menu engineering, procurement efficiencies, sales enhancements, productivity improvement and concept reinvention.
- Maintain a positive attitude while working with all coworkers and staff
- Manages the control of food and labor costs through proper scheduling and purchasing
- Conducts regular inspections to assure cleanliness and maintenance meet company standards
- Oversees and manages monthly inventory
- Responsible for providing high quality, fresh food products in a timely manner for delivery to guests
- Participates as a team player with specific responsibilities as related to preparation, excellent service and delivery of product
- Coordinates the storage, maintenance and repair of all kitchen equipment to ensure operational readiness
- Maintains sanitation, health and safety standards and training in work areas
- Responsible for observing and testing foods to ensure proper cooking
- Responsible for portioning, arranging and garnishing food plates for delivery to guests
- Responsible for consulting with managers to plan menus and estimate expected food consumption
- Must be a visible presence working on the kitchen floor with staff to ensure quality, efficiency, and overall management of operations
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in the food & beverage industry
- MA or MS; BA or BS with business-related major; accounting minor or credits preferred equivalent job experience can be substituted for educational requirements
- Must have various experience levels in volume feeding, ala carte, fine dining, catering and purchasing storage and handling
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of staff
- Demonstrated and verifiable track record of meeting projected costs
- Professional appearance and presentation required
- Knowledge of and skill in using computer software, including MS Word/Excel/Outlook
- Maintains a current Food Handler's card and alcohol service permit if required by state or local government
- Working knowledge of employee scheduling in a hospitality environment
- Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills
- Well skilled in all technical and sanitary aspects of food preparation and presentation
- Technical Proficiency and experience demonstrating verifiable knowledge of food preparation methods
- Ability to supervise kitchen staff
- Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, volunteers, management staff and guests in a clear, business like and respectful manner which focuses on generating a positive and cooperative work environment
- Ability to cost out menus and create new menu items when needed
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented, fast-paced, event-driven environment
- Ability to be detail-oriented, multi-task and effectively prioritize in a continuously changing environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; able and willing to work nights, weekends and long hours
- Possess valid food handling certificate if required by state and federal regulations
- Working knowledge of Bypass and Square preferred
Spectra is an equal opportunity employer and our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, handicap, marital status, or any other status or condition protected by Federal and/or State laws, except where bona fide occupational qualifications apply.