Sr. Vice President of Product Engineering
About the Job
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC's Disruptor 50, one of Forbes' Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What you'll do:
- Lead our overall Product Engineering organization and manage, coach, and support a team of engineering leaders
- Recruit, hire and mentor, motivate and promote world class engineers and engineering leaders of all levels of experience
- Define the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in all major areas, including feature development, automated testing, resiliency and scalability of systems.
- Foster an engineering culture of innovation, iteration, craftsmanship and ownership
- Work with senior management and business stakeholders to shape and deliver the technical and product roadmap, and define quarterly OKRs for your department
- Manage and evolve the development and deployment process and achieve ideal deployment cadences for different product suites while keeping the business teams informed and bought in.
- Work closely with our executive team on acquisitions and strategic partnerships
- Have successfully scaled an organization from 50 to 100+ engineers
- 10+ years of industry leadership experience in leading engineering teams for medium/large SaaS/Cloud environments
- Experience building highly-available and global scale web and mobile applications, ideally with AWS
- Experience running multiple product development teams (P&L) and defining departmental KPIs and SLAs
- Degree in CS or a related field
- Experience as a public company executive preferred