Sr Manager, People Operations
About the Job
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC's Disruptor 50, one of Forbes' Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We're Looking For:
The Senior Manager of People Operations will build out and improve HR/PeopleOps systems, tools, processes and team to enable Skillz to achieve its mission and define our culture. Skillz's success is a testament to the remarkable Skillzians who have joined the company, allowing us to grow by over 100% every year since inception. Now, we need a dynamic, well-rounded and passionate HR Operations leader to help scale our systems and programs to keep up with our growth!
What You'll Do:
- Build and manage our foundational People Operations team
- Own and evolve all PeopleOps processes, systems, workflows, reporting, and metrics, defining and leading a People strategy that will enable org-wide success
- Design and lead a world-class onboarding program for all new incoming Skillzians
- Partner with HRBPs to advise and influence business leaders in programs and policies for their teams
- Recommend and implement various PeopleOps programs and policies by assessing employee requirements, reviewing competitor and general industry practices, and analyzing cost impact/effectiveness
- Strategize with the Talent, Legal, Finance, IT, Workplace and Business Operations teams to develop seamless processes that support long-term, cross-functional success
- Implement policies and programs that are compliant, thoughtful, data-backed and innovative
- Enable engagement, retention and general success for all Skillzians
- 8+ years experience in people operations, with extensive experience in the development of programs and policies that enable People functions to succeed
- Experience in a high-growth environment within the tech or entertainment industry highly preferred
- Proven track record of hiring and managing highly performant PeopleOps teams
- History of promotion/advancement and increasing responsibility
- Quantitative and data-driven - able to draw insights from data while making strong intuitive decisions when data is imperfect or unattainable
- Ability to build process in a rapid-growth environment and to make pivots where/when necessary
- Passion for people operations and a 'continuous improvements' mentality
- Hungry to achieve ambitious growth goals
- CCP, CBP or SPHR certification a plus (solid understanding of relevant employment law, immigration, and compliance matters in SF/CA market, at minimum)