Product Designer, Game Operations
About the Job
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC's Disruptor 50, one of Forbes' Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we're looking for:
We're looking for a Product Designer to help create efficient product experiences that support the critical platform systems that support our game developer partners, game operations, and internal tooling.
Your passion for design leads you to creating fresh new concepts that can change an industry. You're insatiably curious, and you take the initiative to find solutions to obvious and hidden problems. The status quo is not sufficient, and you are constantly looking for new ways to improve your designs and a user's experience, and you expect the people around you to do the same.
What You'll Do:
- Work end-to-end, tackling complex user needs from sketching to low and high fidelity prototypes
- Leverage solid design rationale to create an intuitive and responsive platform experiences
- Gain a deep understanding of our target users through observations, research, and analytics so that you can champion their needs
- Be the champion of our target users by deeply understanding their needs through observations, research, and analytics
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and other designers to incorporate feedback and uncover compelling design solutions
- Think about design as a system, contributing to and maintaining our design system in order to influence quality and efficiency for all our teams and products
- 2+ years of professional experience as a UX or Product Designer
- Experience designing for mobile-first, responsive web applications
- Portfolio that demonstrates solid understanding and use of typography, color, imagery, layout, and grid systems
- Portfolio that showcases sound product thinking and strong design rationale through navigation, user flows, interaction design, and information architecture
- Ability to manage deadlines and collaborate in a cross functional environment
- Experienced in using various design software including Figma, Sketch, Adobe CS, and Invision
- Experience with motion design and/or data visualization is a plus