Product Design Mgr, Player Experience
About the Job
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC's Disruptor 50, one of Forbes' Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we're looking for:
We're looking for a Product Design Manager to lead the Player Experience Design team in charge of creating a new industry standard for competitive mobile gaming experiences.
Your passion for design leads you to creating fresh new concepts that can change an industry. You take initiative, you find solutions to obvious and hidden problems without being asked. You challenge the status quo, constantly looking for new ways to improve designs and a user's experience and you expect the people around you to do the same.
As a Product Design Manager at Skillz, you serve a crucial role: you enhance the health and growth of your team, as well as advocate for the overall business. You have a passion for design excellence and you express thoughtful creative direction. You're also happy to occasionally roll up your sleeves to lead by example.
You will report to the Head of Product Design [Matt Snow] and will be based in San Francisco.
What You'll Do:
- Shape product design direction and strategy while also hiring, leading and mentoring the growth and success of a talented team of ~3-6 product designers creating competitive mobile gaming experiences on both iOS and Android
- Work closely with product and engineering-and other cross-functional partners to drive design vision and strategy. Help turn business objectives into customer centered problems and steer team strategy
- Collaborate with Design and Skillz leadership to determine our overall player experience design direction
- Define and drive design hiring goals. Recruit and interview new Product Designers, review incoming candidates, and actively improve our design hiring process.
- Own the design efforts for and bring clarity to large and ambiguous product experiences
- Contribute to iterating on our product experiences through user research
- Drive design thinking within the larger Product Design organization and encourage various design focused problem-solving methodologies
- 5+ years experience as a UX or Product Designer (encompassing interaction design and visual design with proficiency designing across platforms)
- 2+ years experience managing and mentoring a team of 3+ designers
- Experience building and shipping applications or software across a variety of platforms
- Experience with delivering 1+ products from concept stages to launch
- Mobile design experience for iOS and Android