Sr. Fatigue and Damage Tolerance Engineer
About the Job
If you like solving problems and working with complex materials and systems, join our amazing team! As a Structural Engineer, you will be using your skills and expertise to design, evaluate, and certify our cutting edge products and services. These cover a very wide range from advanced mission payloads and electronic systems through highly integrated aircraft to orbital and space exploration systems. You'll examine complex metallic and composite structures and systems. Your technical duties involve the design and development of new products and processes throughout the product lifecycle.
At SNC’s ISR, Aviation and Security (IAS) team we are a leading manned and unmanned aircraft systems integrator for high-performance intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, and aviation systems. IAS tailors solutions to customer cost, performance, and schedule requirements and designs to consistently exceed expectations and provide a turnkey approach to enable our customers to focus on their mission. Learn more about IAS
- Perform detailed fatigue and damage tolerance analysis for aircraft modifications for compliance to Part 25 regulations.
- Perform detailed structural analysis on both primary and secondary aircraft structure utilizing classical hand calculation methods and finite element analysis
- Work closely with structural design group to develop detailed 2D drawings for production
- Develop substantiation documentation in order to demonstrate compliance related airworthiness requirements including;
- Design Drawings
- Test plans and reports
- Analysis documents
- Compliance checklists
- Produce detailed fatigue and damage tolerance reports and work with approving designated engineering representative to obtain approval
- Collaborate with other engineering functions, and subject matter experts on system level details including assembly and subassembly requirements
- Other responsibilities may include new business development, IR&D projects, and customer interface
- Able to demonstrate a comprehensive working knowledge of regulatory and applicable airworthiness criteria 14 CFR Part 25
- Experience in fatigue and damage tolerance analysis of metallic aircraft structure
- Experience with NASGRO crack growth analysis software
- Ability to prioritize workloads and show flexibility to changing situations / demands
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management, customers, and individual contributors
- B.S. degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Civil Engineering required
- 10 or more years of experience working with Stress Analysis related work
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Security Clearance required
- Experience with fatigue spectrum generation and manipulation
- Knowledge and experience of aircraft modification programs
- Experience with MSC Patran/Nastran or Siemens Femap/NX Nastran
- Solidworks and/or CATIA experience. Understands Product Lifecycle Management
- Experience with narrow body transport category aircraft
- Experienced in execution of government contracts
- Experience in integrating mission systems across a wide variety of primary/secondary structure
- Experience in liaison engineering
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Security Clearance. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance for employment. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Department of Defense Consolidated Adjudications Facility (DoD CAF), a federal government agency, handles the adjudicative aspects of the security clearance eligibility process for industry applicants. Adjudicative factors which affect the outcome of the eligibility determination include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and illegal drug use.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Learn more about SNCEstimated Starting Salary Range: $117,040.88 - $160,931.20
SNC offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
SNC offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
– Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran, or any other protected status
pursuant to applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.