Senior GNC Flight Software Engineer
About the Job
Do you enjoy developing new products and services? Join us! Our Software Engineers work in an agile, collective environment. You will be using your skills and expertise to define, design, develop, test, certify and improve cutting-edge software products. These cover a very wide range from advanced mission payloads and electronic systems through highly integrated aircraft to orbital and space exploration systems. You'll perform coding, debugging, testing, and troubleshooting of systems and software throughout our development process. Your technical duties involve the design and development of new software products throughout the product lifecycle.
The Senior Guidance, Navigation and Control Engineer participates in the design and development of flight algorithms and flight software to support ongoing and future small satellite programs. This candidate will have experience with all portions of the software life cycle (concept development, requirements definition, design, development, testing, and deployment). Additionally, the successful candidate will have experience doing GN&C-related analysis such as performance analysis, multi-sensor fusion and estimation/filtering, sensor processing and/or other advanced GN&C analyses. This individual has a strong working knowledge of Matlab and Simulink and experience with code development. Object-oriented design using the C and C++ languages is a plus, as is having experience in deploying and testing flight code on embedded processors. Experience with Agile Scrum is desired.
At SNC’s Space Systems Group (SSG) we are not only the creator of the Dream Chaser® spacecraft, but also the designer and manufacturer of rocket engines and components, systems that sustain life in deep space, as well as systems and satellites that improve life here on Earth. The work of our Space Systems team not only supports the U.S. government (including NASA), but also commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about SSG
- Requires a BS in Related Field
- Requires at least 10 years of applicable engineering experience; a Master’s Degree may substitute for two years of experience
- Practical experience with GN&C development team(s)
- Practical experience developing, testing and certifying GN&C algorithms and flight software
- Confident with MATLAB/Simulink and/or C, C++. JAVA, Python
- Previous experience and skills in simulation, implementation, lab integration and/or test
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, face-paced environment with emphasis in rapid prototyping and fielding of capabilities
- Ability to rapidly work with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large teams
- Minimum Fundamental Knowledge, Skills and Abilities as stated in SNC’s Responsibility Matrix
- Domain expertise in Flight Software or Guidance, Navigation and Control (GN&C) Flight Software, spacecraft Integration and Test (I&T), spacecraft operations
- Tools expertise: C/C++, Python, MATLAB, Simulink, STK, DOORS, Rhapsody, DXL, JIRA, Excel VBA
- Certified through Scrum Alliance for Product Owner or Scrum Master
- Experience working on complex systems
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Security Clearance. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance for employment. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Department of Defense Consolidated Adjudications Facility (DoD CAF), a federal government agency, handles the adjudicative aspects of the security clearance eligibility process for industry applicants. Adjudicative factors which affect the outcome of the eligibility determination include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and illegal drug use.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Learn more about SNC
Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
– Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran, or any other protected status
pursuant to applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.