Lab Manager I (Contingent Upon Award)
About the Job
Do you enjoy working independently as well as part of a team in an environment with a wide variety of activities and one where you don't sit at a desk all day? Then this could be the perfect opportunity for you!
As a Lab Manager, you'll manage labs and technicians to assist the design, development, test, certification, and deployment of cutting edge products and services. These cover a very wide range from advanced mission payloads and electronic systems through highly integrated aircraft to orbital and space exploration systems. You'll manage all aspects of our labs including test equipment, facilities, and supplies. Coordinating lab activities and engineering technicians with Program Management, Engineering, Quality, Safety, and Procurement is also part of your charge. Additionally, you will be allocating tasking and supervising technicians to build cables and test fixtures as well as assist with assembly, integration, and test of prototype and production products.
The Mission Solutions and Technologies (MST) business area provides affordable, turn-key command/control, communications, integrated ISR, force protection and security solutions worldwide. The MST team has a long legacy of supporting the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, commercial and international customers with years of experience in platform operations, engineering and full lifecycle management across domains – air, land, sea, space and cyber. Learn more about MST
Are you experienced with lab and information technology infrastructure? We are performing leading edge Dept. of Defense (DoD) initiatives for bringing commercial Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) techniques to new DoD Open Architecture environments. We are building a new network and guiding existing DoD developers and commercial players to contribute new technology to Electronic Warfare systems in a manner bringing new scale, manageability and cost effectiveness. You will be bringing existing know-how to new and growing environs advancing how DoD technology development is performed. This is an opportunity to learn and grow with a new team at SNC.
- Act as overall Lab Manager in a multi-disciplinary lab primarily supporting computer networking and server components
- Coordinate scheduled use of lab
- Coordinate purchase of necessary tools and consumable lab stock. Manage budgets for such.
- Host outside vendors and customers who will use lab.
- Configure devices running Linux operating systems
- Administer client-based as well as cloud-based software
- Troubleshoot and problem solve core service and support challenges while applying best practices for documentation, change management, and scripting
- Support basic IT infrastructure and networking
- Implement basic data backup and recovery methods and apply data storage and management best practices
- Understand, configure and support server components
- Apply physical and network data security techniques
- Diagnose and resolve system hardware, software, connectivity, storage and security issues
- Manage and maintain servers, including OS configuration, access control and virtualization
- Configure systems for network connectivity, including physical and logical elements
- Support storage devices technologies, including capacity and growth planning
- Understand disaster recovery and implement backup techniques
- As a constant on-site presence, this role will require regular interface with both our customers and outside development teams. Must be able to represent both company and program interests to this diverse group.
- This role will be working in a team environment with key members in multiple locations, so the right ability and judgment to inform all 'just right' is a key to effectiveness.
- Demonstrated responsibility to be able to maintain lab inventory of Government Furnished Property (GFP) and company-owned equipment
- Ability to oversee production efforts for quick reaction products to support field and development programs
- Familiarity with planning and coordinating resources for testing sensors and systems on a variety of test platforms
- Exposure to safe and secure operations in the lab to adhere to local Ground & Standard Operating Procedures
- Experience in managing and operating a SCIF lab in accordance with applicable DoD security requirements
- Mechanical and electrical experience to assist all levels of engineering technicians
- Maintain IPC certification for soldering and cable assembly
- Must be able to pass and maintain DOT medical to drive company vehicles over 12,000 and tow
- Ability to travel when required
- Leadership skills
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Learn more about SNC
SNC offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
SNC offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
– Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran, or any other protected status
pursuant to applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.