Human Resources Business Partner
About the Job
The HR business partner (HRBP) position is responsible for aligning human resources strategy and service with business objectives in designated business areas (BAs) and/or functional organizations. The position serves as a consultant to leadership on human resource-related issues. The successful HRBP acts as a strategic partner and operations consultant to the business while facilitating resolutions and responding to emergencies when necessary. The position assesses and anticipates HR-related requirements. Balancing the needs of the business with those of the enterprise, HRBPs communicate proactively with internal HR partners (COEs, Shared Services, other HRBPs) and business leadership to develop integrated solutions. The position develops partnerships across the HR function to deliver value-added service to leadership and employees that reflects the business objectives of the organization. The HRBP maintains an effective level of literacy about organizational and business strategy, financial position, culture, and competition.
The Mission Solutions and Technologies (MST) business area provides affordable, turn-key command/control, communications, integrated ISR, force protection and security solutions worldwide. The MST team has a long legacy of supporting the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, commercial and international customers with years of experience in platform operations, engineering and full lifecycle management across domains – air, land, sea, space and cyber. Learn more about MST
- Experience with Microsoft Suite, including Teams
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Security Clearance is required. Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
- PHR certification
- Experience with Workday
- Strong skills in Excel and PowerPoint
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Build strong working relationships and credibility with assigned BAs(s) through open communications, visibility, and trust-building activities. Provide professional, business-focused HR service to designated BA(s). Work with other HRBPs to share beneficial practices, ensure a broad consistency of approach, and cover each other as necessary.
- Partner with the business to collect and document business requirements. Communicate with HR SMEs to ensure that HR is aligned with BA needs. Leverage internal networks to develop integrated solutions for BAs in partnership with other groups such as Finance, IT, Security, and Communications.
- Anticipate events and situations which have an impact on the business and proactively communicate with business leadership to manage impacts and mitigate risks.
- Take a coaching approach and provide BA leaders and managers information to facilitate effective, consistent, and empowering people management (expecting and enabling managers to assume increasing responsibility for all aspects of people management).
- Work in partnership with senior leadership teams to identify the people implications of strategic and operational plans and actions.
- Analyze trends and metrics in partnership with other members of HR to develop solutions, programs, and policies for assigned BAs and, as appropriate, the enterprise.
- Facilitate labor resource meetings as well as effective workforce planning to identify the capacity and capability of the organization to deliver its objectives.
- Provide operational and strategic HR consultation on the interpretation of HR policies and procedures, employment legislation, performance management, and change management processes, providing risk analysis to support this. Constructively challenge decisions which are not in the best interest of the organization.
- Lead responsibility for the HR management aspects of corporate initiatives and projects, including project and process management, as assigned.
- Responsible for the execution of BA annual HR processes to include: goals, performance, merit, bonus, and succession planning/talent reviews.
Organizational Development / Effectiveness
- Take opportunities to build shared understanding and ownership of the organization’s mission, vision, values, strategies, plans and desired culture
- Use a detailed understanding of enterprise HR strategy to leverage unique BA programs and services across the enterprise, sharing knowledge and successes with other HRBPs to advance the strategy and to ensure an integrated approach
- Lead, coach and motivate others in the development of robust, innovative and creative approaches to service provision, building ownership and engagement at all levels
- Provide guidance and input on BA restructures, labor resource meetings, workforce planning, and career management (including succession planning and talent reviews)
- Identify training needs for BAs and individual leadership coaching needs. Partner with L&D and Talent Management on solutions and monitoring of development programs to achieve expected business outcomes
- Lead, or contribute to, organizational development and change projects as appropriate, modelling effective change leadership practices
- Execute HRBP roles and responsibilities for BA-specific Talent Management programs
- Use survey data and knowledge of engagement strategies to coach BA leaders in developing realistic goals and effective action plans to improve employee engagement outcomes and support business priorities
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conduct effective, fit-for-purpose and objective investigations
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day leadership of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with the legal department as needed/required
- Provide day-to-day performance leadership guidance to line leadership (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions, and terminations) provoking positive changes in the leadership of people and performance improvement
- Contribute to employee relations and HR policy development and implementation
Supervisory and Management Responsibilities:
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach for others and demonstrates leadership as a member of the HR team. Responsible for managing HR service delivery to assigned BAs. HRBP incumbents with more experience in HRBP roles may serve as mentors for less experienced HRBP incumbents
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Security Clearance. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance for employment. Non-U.S. citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Department of Defense Consolidated Adjudications Facility (DoD CAF), a federal government agency, handles the adjudicative aspects of the security clearance eligibility process for industry applicants. Adjudicative factors which affect the outcome of the eligibility determination include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the U.S., foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and illegal drug use.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Learn more about SNC
SNC offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
– Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran, or any other protected status
pursuant to applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.