Scientist I, Manufacturing Sciences - West Hills, CA
About the Job
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
The Scientist I, Manufacturing Sciences is responsible to manage and prioritize assigned projects related to development and improvement of DNA-based diagnostic reagents with supervision.
What will you do?
- Simultaneously manage and prioritize multiple projects and products across multiple functional groups while meeting target due dates with guidance of supervisor/lead.
- Design, create experimental task, run tests and be able to look at data and complete analysis using Fusion, Orchid, or equivalent software. Can provide experimental task(s) to designated Scientist with Supervisor approval.
- Be able to identify improvements, initiate and implement the solutions with the guidance of the supervisor.
- Adapt, implement and train current and new Scientist I lab functions/procedure to other Scientists and provide guidance and support throughout projects and product builds (SAP, Operate UV spectrophotometer, and thermal cycler, agarose gel electrophoresis, UV image analyzer, Luminex 200, FlexMAP3D, high speed centrifuge and other hardware. Reconstitution, quantification, QC test, organization and maintenance of all raw materials such as oligonucleotides, ancillary reagents, and genomic DNAs, etc.).
- Coordinate, plan and manage the day-to-day tasks to maintain the project(s)/product(s) workflow with guidance from Scientist II/III/Supervisor.
- Manage, plan, and design experimental methods under supervision as needed to achieve technical objectives as well as identify and solve problems with minimum complexity.
- Prepare accurate and timely reports to Scientist II-III/Management.
- Conduct maintenance and organization of reagents and equipment.
- Maintain and perform all aspects of receiving and quality control testing of raw materials.
- Update and maintain raw material and semi inventories. Be able to do Cycle count.
- Prepare and QC buffer solutions.
- Maintain and update all required SOP’s and quality records of equipment maintenance, tests, analyses and other relevant data with the guidance of Scientist II/III/Supervisor.
- Implement and execute Practical knowledge of PPI Business System/LEAN concepts including continuous improvement with supervision
- Be able to identify goals, review and update Supervisor throughout the year and complete the PMD
How will you get here?
Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Molecular Biology or related field.
- At least 1 – 2 years lab experience in school or work related.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Molecular Biology or related field
- Knows basic principles, methods and practices of HLA and scientific/technical field or software, typically via formal study and/or work in the field
- Understands industry practices and standards and is able to relate day-to-day work to business problems
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of molecular biology and recombinant DNA techniques
- Strong organizational and time management skills, as well as ability to work in a detail-oriented manner
- Ability to exercise decision making with the guidance of Management/Scientist II-III
- Excellent computer skills
- Follow oral and written directions, read, understand and implement written laboratory procedures
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Builds productive cross-functional relationships with colleagues in other functions
- During situations that have high impact to the business, quickly escalate them by bringing solutions and consulting with Supervisor
- Be able to efficiently handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Develop skills to perform other duties as assigned
- All laboratory personnel are expected to notify their immediate supervisor of any unsafe conditions and/or practices and to take appropriate corrective action. This position will have daily contact with other laboratory personnel
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive laboratory and business data
- Ensure that safe laboratory procedures and protocols are followed at all times, especially in the application of universal precautions in handling of all blood and blood products
- Ensure all processes and teams are in adherence of cGMP and GDP
- Ensure compliance with corporate, site, and regulatory policies, practices, and guidelines
- Frequently work at lab bench, low temperature freezers and PC workstations
- Handle blood samples and blood byproducts occasionally
- Some lifting of objects including laboratory instrumentation of 35 pounds
- Work in office/computer/analysis
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.