Scientist I/II, Cellular Biologist (Pharmacology)
About the Job
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
We are seeking an experienced cellular biologist to join the Pharmacology department at the AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester MA. The successful candidate will conduct bench work to support advancement of drug targets and explore cellular pathways in autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Perform in vitro cellular assays to evaluate target biology and potential therapeutic agents
- Generate data, both routine and complex, competently, independently and in a timely fashion
- Identify, develop, and implement new experimental protocols and techniques to generate reliable and reproducible data
- Interpret results and draw conclusions from experiments, noting deviations
- Suggest, design, and implement relevant experiments for each scientific question
- Read and adapt relevant scientific literature to achieve goal of individual projects and programs
- Ability to schedule and prioritize workload effectively within a multi-task environment
- Bachelors or Masters in cellular biology, immunology or a related discipline with at least 5-7+ (BS) or 2-5+ (MS) years of relevant experience
- Experience in cell culture, sterile technique and in vitro cellular assays required
- Experience with immune cell biology, culture and techniques required
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organization and presentation skills required
- Knowledge of signal transduction assays, cellular proliferation and viability assays, FACS assays, and molecular biology techniques preferred
- Experience working with epithelial cells/endothelial cells/fibroblasts preferred
- Experience in medium-throughput screening of small molecules and biologics preferred
- Knowledge of pathways and mechanisms associated with autoimmune disorders preferred
- Proficiency in data reporting and analysis software preferred
- Experience working in a team environment to achieve goals and timelines
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.