The Registered Nurse, Emergency Department is responsible for handling initial patient assessments, performing laboratory work, point of care testing and administrative tasks associated with the delivery of patient care. The Emergency Department Registered Nurse collaborates with physicians regarding discharge plans, creates and educates patients upon discharge from the Emergency Department and works effectively in transferring patients who are admitted to the hospital.
- Triages patients who present to the Emergency Department, prioritizing care based on the critical nature and severity of a patient’s condition.
- Assesses patient condition through visual evaluation, medication reconciliation, and vital sign measurements such as: blood pressure reading pulse rate, respiration, and temperature throughout the course of a patient’s stay in the Emergency Department.
- Administers medication and assists with medical procedures as prescribed by the treating physician.
- Monitors patients for changes in condition and communicates timely and effectively with those involved in the welfare, care or treatment of the patient in compliance with applicable policies and regulations.
- Partners with other members of the patient care treatment team in the provision of procedures, interventions, discharge or admission processes.
- Charts all patient medical history, contact information, condition, medications, and treatment as well as update the electronic medical record throughout the patient stay in the Emergency Department. Charting is accurate and consistent with applicable department and organization standards.
- Discharges patients from the Emergency Room post treatment. Completes discharge instructions, educates the patient and/or caregiver ensuring understanding of the instructions, answers questions, and confirms transportation from the Emergency Department.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
Minimum: Graduate of an accredited Registered Nurse Program by date of hire.
- Minimum: Two (2) years of Critical Care experience and two (2) years of Emergency Department experience.
- Registered Nurse licensed to practice in the state of Indiana upon hire date.
- American Heart Association Certifications of:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) - upon hire date
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) - within 90 days of hire or transfer to position
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) - within 90 days of hire or transfer to position
- Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course (ENPC) -within 90 days of hire or transfer to position
Preferred: CEN, TNCC, NRP
- Associates or better in Accounting
- Bachelors or better in Nursing
Licenses & CertificationsRequired
- Registered Nurse