Dir, Customer Platform Product Management
About the Job
What's cool about this job
The Director, Customer Platform Product Management drives the strategic direction and leads teams responsible for all customer, membership, marketing and loyalty platform capabilities enabling the REI Omni-channel experience and supporting a +$3B digital business. This team provides core capabilities to aggressively grow our membership base, evolve our member experience, and maintain a healthy and active customer base by supporting core customer capabilities including our Marketing Technology stack, Sales & Customer Support Tools, Digital Personalization Capabilities, Customer Identity and Access Management, Customer Profile, Customer Data Platform, Loyalty and Offer platforms.
A top objective of this position is leading, inspiring, and recruiting an empowered team of highly skilled and innovative product managers responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining the end-to-end platforms that provide leverage to customer experience teams by allowing for common services to be implemented once but used in many places. This work is critical to creating an integrated customer experience and a scalable technology platform in support of the Co-op's growth agenda. This leader will promote a product culture that values continuous testing and learning and that welcomes failure as a pathway to innovation. This person will utilize insights to develop REI's 2-year and 5-year product strategy aligned to the Co-op's product vision and is accountable to senior leadership for the Customer Platform team's product delivery. Strong partnerships with Design and Engineering leaders along with cross-divisional relationships will enable this leader to conceive, investigate and plan for best-in-class digital capabilities in support of long-term Co-op viability and growth.
This position requires a strong knowledge of Customer Platforms that support all channels, including online, mobile, in-store and field experiences for gear & apparel products, outdoor expertise, Co-op community, excellence in service and adventure travel and education events. It plays a lead role in influencing the future success of the co-op through the use of digital technology to achieve short, medium and long-term organizational goals. The position will be responsible for designing, developing and supporting highly complex mission critical systems using digital customer and omni-channel technologies that meet established organizational objectives. Anticipating and navigating trends in the customer and omni-channel marketplace with expert business alignment are necessary.
The successful candidate will do this by:
- Developing a product strategy and roadmap for enterprise customer platform capabilities in support of membership acquisition & retention including but not limited to:
- Marketing Technology stack, Sales & Customer Support Tools & Platforms, Digital Personalization Capabilities, Customer Identity and Access Management, Customer Profile, Customer Data Platform, Loyalty and Offer platforms.
- Driving teams to solve for critical customer problems with an MVP-approach in coordination with engineering and design teams.
- Recommending, developing and implementing customer platform strategies to ensure that platform capabilities are integrated seamlessly and enable experience teams across the co-op to scale and meet our customers where they are at in their outdoor journey.
- Delivering to and complying with standards for customer data collection and management in compliance with data access rights (CCPA, GDPR).
- Partnering with IT leaders, Marketing, Customer Insights, Business Intelligence, Digital, Retail, Experiences and other divisions to enable customer outcomes that work for the business.
- Participating in divisional strategic planning, applying a current knowledge and future vision of customer platforms and systems which significantly impact the effective execution of customer experiences. Ensures that customer platform plans drive technology solutions that solve customer problems and support Company effectiveness and profitability.
- Serving as a thought leader across the organization to deliver on the customer experience, providing strong leadership and guidance to influence leaders and drive cross functional alignment.
- Investing in work that removes the barriers people and communities face to getting outside.
- Delivering relevant products, experiences, and expertise to equip and inspire a new generation of outdoor stewards.
- Cultivating a workforce that reflects the demographics of the markets we serve.
- Leading the industry's efforts to welcome people and communities historically underrepresented into outdoor media and culture.
Bring your passion and expertise
The Essential Leadership Behaviors required by the future Director, Customer Platform Product Management connect directly to the mission, the strategy and the quadruple bottom line that measures success for the Co-op. The right candidate is self-motivated, a natural team leader, collaborator and problem-solver.
- Make recruiting, training, and ongoing coaching a top priority, comprising at least 50% of their time.
- Lead and coach a team of product managers that are accountable for new and enhanced digital capabilities.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Advocate for the importance of a strong product culture and the power of a highly motivated product team.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's in Marketing, Communications, Business or related field, Master's preferred.
- 8+ years product management or digital experience.
- 5+ years of progressive management experience in a product, marketing, or e-commerce role.
- Proven experience launching digital platforms.
- Exceptional communication, analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Solid understanding of marketing technology and ability to translate to business objectives and outcomes.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.