Activity Center Lead, Boathouse (FT Seasonal), WA
About the Job
What's cool about this job
Do you want to help others play outside for a living? Are you thinking to yourself, what could be better? Great news! REI is currently hiring an Activity Center Lead! REI Activity Centers are a place where people can learn the basics needed to embark on a new adventure, rent the necessary gear, or plan their adventures. In this role, you will provide the rental gear and instruction to REI members and customers for activities which may include: Kayaking, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Road Cycling, Hiking, Snowshoeing, Backpacking, Camping, Natural History, Outdoor Photography as well as social outings and events. As a Lead, you will support the business, handling shop operations and administrative duties. Combine your passion with your work. Responsibilities for this position include:
Drives Rentals and Sales:
- Drives customer sales through all channels by maximizing selling behaviors. Capitalizes on all promotional events through successful event execution.
- Demonstrates strong interest and credible expertise in our product assortment; translates this knowledge into value for our customers.
- Processes customer transactions, including rentals and class/event registrations, accurately and efficiently.
- Passionately promotes REI's membership and effectively converts non-members to members. Helps guide others to do the same.
- Delivers inspirational experiences for our members and customers through effective promotion of REI events, classes, Adventures trips and Adventure Projects trail apps.
- Performs opening and closing responsibilities, which may include performing Key Holder duties.
- Supports management with accounting responsibilities, which may include banking and auditing, and reconciling Multicards, Petty Cash, and other cash and/or expense systems.
- Effectively processes and prepares store inventory: receives incoming shipments according to procedures, efficiently stocks and coordinates daily stocking process, actively manages merchandise, executes visual directions, and ensures a compelling presentation. Partners with local Visual Merchandising Point Person (VMPP) to ensure visual excellence.
- Adapts merchandise presentation based on changing inventory levels, new products, promotions, and market conditions (weather, events, etc.)
- Identifies areas of opportunity and acts on them as it relates to inventory accuracy, price accuracy, and product stock levels.
- Maintains inventory levels and assists with inventory audits.
- Prices, organizes, evaluates or ships customer and product quality returns or transfers according to stated REI policies and procedures.
- Assumes responsibility for other operational or administrative functions as requested such as maintaining files/bulletin boards/calendars, monitoring and ordering supplies, facilitating mail in and out of the shop, recycling, trash removal, light housekeeping activities (dusting, vacuuming), or other simple maintenance tasks.
- Successfully leads REI Outdoor School outings and classes.
- Delivers class content, customer service during outings, and ensures the safety of all participants.
- Maintains equipment and coordinates outing logistics prior to field day.
- Guides large groups of people through instructional and experiential outings.
- Demonstrates high competence in the course content, as well as skills in demonstrating the designated activity.
- Responds, assess, and delivers wilderness first aid to outing participants.
- Supports and partners with Experience Managers and Retail Sales Managers through communication of goals, daily expectations, task assignments, staffing/scheduling needs and feedback.
- Trains and mentors new staff, provides direction to peers as necessary, coordinates service delivery, and task execution.
- Ensures shop is following Asset Protection standards and safety procedures.
- Provides effective 2-way communication between internal and external partners, REI customers, and staff.
- Demonstrates initiative, productivity, and serves as a role model for others.
Bring your passion and expertise
Do you thrive in the outdoors and want to help others do the same? REI's outdoor experiences and activity centers provide entry-level to intermediate-level outdoor education, recreation and rental programs. Here are the skills and experience levels we look for in our Activity Center Specialists:
- 3+ years of experience in outdoor education, experience teaching and/or guiding outdoor participation
- Previous retail, rental facility, or outdoor programs experience
- Inventory/merchandise management experience
- Availability requirements including some nights and weekends
- Regional knowledge of outdoor venues and resources
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification required Wilderness First Responder preferred
- Certification or equivalent experience in technical outdoor education preferred (ACA, AMGA, IMBA, LCI, etc).
- Valid driver's license with no negative incidents, ability to acquire a commercial driver's license
- Complete required sales, membership, and operational training prior to working independently
- Able to lift 35 pounds periodically for up to two hours
- Ability to safely operate power material handling equipment
- Knowledge of legal and risk management issues related to outdoor education