Registrar (Service Lines)
About the Job
The Service Line Registrar collects accurate demographic and financial information critical to the success of the hospital's reimbursement, while maintaining compliance with applicable regulatory requirements including, but not limited to: CMS, Joint Commission, HIPAA and EMTALA. Must have working knowledge of medical insurance and be able to articulate information in a clear and informative manner to patients, guarantors, family members, clinical staff, other hospital personnel and physicians. Orders tests and assigns the preliminary procedure codes. May also assist the supervisor with reports and other designated projects or assignments.
EMTALA = Emergency Medical Treatment & Labor Act
The Service Line Registrar in the Emergency Departments:
1) Follows protocol for Trauma and Anonymous patient workflows. Follows the Mark for Merge process when duplicate accounts are identified or created at the time of registration. Lead shift change communication properly handing off in process registrations. Communicates status of Trauma and Anonymous patient registrations
2) Responds to disaster and mass casualty situations following disaster procedures, including the registration process for unidentified patients, using the patient tracking log and registering patients with disaster tags. At Smyrna, perform modified duties of the ED Unit Secretary communicating alerts to the respective providers and transportation services
Minimum Education and Experience:
High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent certification
Associate Degree in Business or a related field.
One year in a customer service role.
Previous experience in a medical office setting.
Basic skills MS Office.
Keyboarding – 30 wpm
Familiarity with the Internet
Microsoft Office applications
Experience in Epic
CHAA (Certified Healthcare Access Associate)
Special Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- High producer; performs all areas of job functions at a high accuracy rate
- Knowledge of medical insurance and the ability to interpret information on insurance cards
§ Must be detailed oriented and able to handle multiple tasks.
§ Problem solver.
§ Excellent verbal and reasoning skills
- Ability to effectively communicate – both written and oral – holding crucial conversations with clinical staff and peers
§ Ability to deal with people at all times in a pleasant and tactful manner
- Ability to use multiple windows/programs at one time
- Ability to navigate payer websites to view eligibility responses
- Ability to reconcile cash transactions
§ Knowledge of medical terminology
§ Exemplifies, reinforces and always models exceptional customer service and teamwork.
§ Must be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English