Genetics Dir- San Juan Capistrano, California
About the Job
Director, Biochemical Genetics – San Juan Capistrano, CA
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. They are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DGX) and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. With 2020 revenues of $9.44 Billion and approximately 46,000 employees and 6,600 patient locations across the US, Quest Diagnostics serves half of the physicians and hospitals in the US with their large variety of products and services.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
Approximately 150 million times each year, patients and their physicians rely upon Quest Diagnostics results to make important healthcare decisions and approximately one third of U.S. physicians – and many of the country’s leading hospitals and health systems – relies on Quest Diagnostics healthcare information solutions to foster better patient care and outcomes.
· FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 7 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
· Fortune magazine’s Fortune 500 list
· Forbes® Global 2000
· Forbes®' America's Best Employers List for third consecutive year
· Forbes® 2020 America’s Best Employers for Women for second consecutive year
· S&P 500
· Barron’s 500
· Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
· Included in the FTSE4Good, Calvert, and Ocean Tomo sustainability indices
· Listed in the most recent Newsweek Green Rankings
· Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
· Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for third consecutive year
· Listed on the Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
· Named Top 23 ‘Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality’ in New Jersey
· Achieved Cancer Gold Standard accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer, recognizing our actions to reduce the cancer risk of employees and their families
· Received C. Everett Koop National Health Award for Efforts to Promote Employee Health in 2020
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics’ reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics’ long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information, and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
· Deliver Innovative Solutions
· Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
· Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
· Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
The Director of Genetics – Biochemical (Licensed) reports to the either the Chief Director, Scientific Director or Medical Director as appropriate and is responsible for providing technical interpretation of genetics results, signing reports, providing consultations with physicians regarding technical aspects of assays, implementing new assays, assay troubleshooting, participation in QA responsibilities, providing technical support to operations staff, and reviewing and approval of SOPs.
The Director may also serve as the backup for the Scientific and Medical Director and assumes Clinical Consultant or Technical Supervisor responsibilities as assigned by the Medical Director. This position will be located in San Juan Capistrano, CA.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
· Interpret results for clinical genetic testing. While the vast majority of the work will be in Clinical Biochemical Genetics, there will also periodically be some Clinical Molecular Genetics workflow.
· Assist in assay trouble shooting and implementation of new assays.
· Monitor compliance and maintain a safe working environment.
· Assist, as needed, in the training of technologists.
· Observe compliance with regulatory agencies, including inspections.
· Monitor of quality assurance at all levels of practice.
· Participate in working groups of related or associated professional societies and regulatory agencies.
· Represent Quest Diagnostics at professional meetings and sales functions.
· Technical consultation with operations staff.
· Approve of the test method selection and validation.
· Ensure that the proficiency testing program is conducted in a timely manner, reviewed by appropriate staff, and approve of corrective action when a proficiency testing result is found to be unsatisfactory.
· Establish and monitor quality control to ensure that acceptable levels of analytical performance are maintained for each test system. Ensure that patient test results are reported only when the system is functioning properly.
· Approve all corrective action and preventative action plans and procedure.
· Approve Job Assignments and Authorization Matrix (JAAM) and annual Performance and Development Review (PDR) to ensure that all personnel have the appropriate training and demonstrated performance for the type of testing offered.
· Annually review/approve Standard Operating Procedures for test systems.
· MD degree, Ph.D. degree or equivalent.
· Board certified in Clinical Biochemical Genetics and Clinical Molecular Genetics by the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics, or equivalent certifications.
· Appropriate CA state licensure, or the ability to obtain appropriate CA state licensure, is required.
· 1-3 years of related experience.
· Highly developed verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated good decision-making and organizational skills.
· The capability of being continuously updated in literature as it relates to its medical applications.
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting careers.QuestDiagnostics.com, clicking “Job Search” and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates for interviews.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.