Med Tech I
About the Job
Diagnostic Laboratory of Oklahoma - Miami, OK - 9am-5pm Monday-Friday
Main Duties: Perform tests in blood bank, chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, serology, coagulation, and microbiology. Assist with specimen processing as needed. Follow employer policies; work with fellow employees in a professional, productive manner; perform instrument maintenance and troubleshooting. Must be able to work without immediate supervision. May occasionally work alone. Additional duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge: A solid understanding of basic knowledge associated with clinical laboratory testing, including QA/QC is required for this position. A successful candidate must possess good computer skills and be able to adapt to multiple computer systems. The candidate should be able to take instruction from a variety of sources without adversity.
Required Experience: AS degree in Medical Lab Technology or BS degree in Medical Technology. ASCP MT/MLT certification or equivalent or be eligible for national MT/MLT certification.
Special Requirement: Ability to maintain a professional, courteous and pleasant attitude in times of heavy workload and stress. Reflect the company’s values in all aspects of performance. Teamwork with fellow employees is a must. Keyboard skills are important. Good customer service skills, professional appearance and attitude are required. Will be required to rotate coverage on weekends, holidays and evening/night shift to cover for co-workers as needed.
Quest Diagnostics JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test result;
2. Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens;
3. Analyze specimens using approved testing procedures (see department SOPs).
4. Review and release test results.
5. Follow CLIA, HIPAA, OSHA, and safety guidelines as described in their respective guidelines.
6. Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and all maintenance performed;
7. Follow the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance.
8. Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results, correct the problems encountered or immediately notify the senior technologist or supervisor.
9. Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
10. Follow department's procedure in reporting STATS or Critical results to clients.
11. If applicable, answer questions from customers or other lab personnel.
12. Maintain complete records of all testing performed on-site.
13. Maintain general appearance of the department.
14. Make sure reagents/test kits have received dates, expiration dates, and if applicable opened dates. 15. Review/train on new procedures.
16. Attend monthly department and any additional training/educational meetings.
17. Participate in all applicable safety training sessions. Know the location and contents of the safety manual. Know the location/use of all applicable safety equipment.
18. If needed, participate in government or regulatory agency inspections.
19. Perform other duties as directed by supervisor.
BS in Medical Technology preferred; or BS/BA in Chemistry or Biology, or Associates degree in a Laboratory Science or Medical Technology, or Previously qualified as a Technologist under 42 CFR 493. 1433 published in March 14, 1990. Foreign educated candidates must provide a detailed credential evaluation from IERF (International Education Research Foundation). United States educated candidates must provide a detailed original transcript.
1 year Clinical experience (high complexity testing) preferred. Minimum of 1 year of clinical laboratory experience in highly complex testing for those with BS/BA in Chemistry or Biology.
1. Must have the ability to establish work priorities and handle several procedures simultaneously.
2. Must interact with other departments.
3. Contact with clients may be required, good customer service skills are important.
4. Must protect patient confidentiality at all times.
Key Word Search
• MT/CLS – Microbiology: Microbiology, Microbiologist, Molecular Microbiology, Bacteriology, Mycology, Phycology, Virology, Public Microbiologist
• MT/CLS – Hematology: Hematology, Hematologist , Hematological, Hemoglobin, Blood Bank, Coagulation, CBC (Complete Blood Count)
• MT/CLS – Immunochemistry: Immunochemistry, Immunochemist, Immunochemical, Assay Validation - ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay), Immunology, Chemistry, Chemoimmunology
• MT/CLS – Chemistry: Chemistry, Chemoimmunology , Immunochemistry, Immunoassays, electrochemistry, Chemical Science
• MT/CLS – Toxicology or PDM – Toxicology, Pain, Pain Management, Pain Monitoring, LCMS, mass spectrometry, LCMSMS