Project Engineer III
About the Job
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivalled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
How will you make an impact?
You will manage engineering projects including estimating costs, sourcing, identifying, specifying, purchasing and installing equipment, design/modification of existing or new facilities to meet site/company requirements.
What will you do?
Engineering Design and Project Management
Designs, directs, controls and monitors engineering projects using Project Management process to assure that the designs and specifications will achieve the full desired objective of the project, focusing on reduced costs, improved productivity, quality and Good Manufacturing Practices compliance.
- Selects and directs the engineering contractor as needed.
- Monitors progress and assures all assigned projects are being completed as intended, on time and within budget.
- Develops and presents recommended project solutions along with realistic cost estimates to internal clients.
- Makes appropriate changes to the scope as the scope changes during the course of the project
- Develops, reviews, and understands engineering drawings that include equipment recommendations. Specifies construction methods to achieve the desired objectives.
- Develops, reviews and understands specifications for new equipment with equipment vendors and site customers and for facility modifications with contractors and site customers.
- Develops, reviews, and understands specifications for facility modifications with contractors and site customers.
Engineering Construction Supervision and Start-Up of a Project
Directs, controls and monitors construction phases of engineering projects to assure that the project is implemented per the established scope, on time, and within budget. Assures compliance with all Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) required documentation for all installed equipment.
- Creates or assists in the creation of detailed bid packages for contractors & equipment vendors. Selects and directs construction contractors /equipment vendors.
- Assists and/or coordinate creation and execution of Installation Qualification (IQ)/Operational Qualification (OQ)/Performance Qualification (PQ) protocols and change control documentation.
- Continually monitors the contractors’ safety performance and promptly rectifies any safety violations that occur.
- Continually monitors the contractors’ quality of work and promptly rectifies any quality or job performance deficiencies.
- Manages the process of installing and commissioning equipment and/or modifying facilities to meet site customer and company client requirements with minimal interruption to operational schedules, ensuring good engineering practices are adhered to for the construction, installation and commissioning of new processes and facilities.
Project Administrative Tasks
- Defines, controls, audits, and be accountable for project scope and costs to assure that approved funds are effectively utilized.
- Tracks project costs and authorizes payments to contractors.
- Maintains project records and communicates to supervision and upper management project costs, status, and safety conditions.
Serve as facility and utility technical consultant to the site
- Works with internal or external clients to troubleshoot problems, recommend solutions, and provides designs. Attends design review and project planning meetings. Shares knowledge and assists training entry level engineers.
- Promotes and facilitates the company’s growth in facility and utility technology.
Supervises co-op students in above duties.
Learning and Training
- Proposes, attends and participates in personal training and development programs to enhance job performance. Actively supports the department site lead process improvement teams and associated improvement projects.
- Reviews new products and technology by attending seminars and workshops.
How will you get there?
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related discipline. Combination of Engineering Technologist Diploma and adequate experience will be also considered.
- Minimum 5 - 10 years experience in project management within a pharmaceutical or food manufacturing environment. Combination of other experience and skills will be also considered.
- Good knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices requirements and pharmaceutical processing regulations.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications including MS Project. Knowledge of ACAD.
- Strong judgment, decision making and trouble shooting skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (both written and oral). Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency with the English language.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.