Practice Respiratory Therapist (Registered) - FT - NYC
About the Job
Performs comprehensive respiratory assessment and respiratory therapy as prescribed by a physician. Provides patient/family with respiratory therapy education. Prepares, operates and maintains respiratory test/care equipment.
1. Performs comprehensive respiratory assessment.
• Utilizes assessment data to determine patient's actual or potential problems.
• Performs bedside pulmonary function studies as per physician's order.
• Collaborates with physicians on patient's plan of care.
• Evaluates patient's responses to respiratory care.
2. Utilizes a process in delivering care to assigned patients.
• Performs physical chest therapy (cupping) to loosen and mobilize secretions and mucus in the lungs and clears airway blockage in the patient's respiratory system, as needed.
• Assists in Pulmonary Stress Testing, when necessary.
• Performs standard suctioning techniques as indicated, collecting the appropriate, requested specimens.
• Implements ventilator management/weaning protocols.
• Performs bronchial hygiene and airways care procedures.
• Collects blood for PH gas analysis, notifies physicians of results and performs appropriate changes in ventilator parameters.
• Implements, monitors, and maintains non-invasive mechanical ventilation. Monitors gas exchange via non-invasive measures including pulse oximetry and capnography.
• Assists in the transport of mechanically ventilated patients with artificial airways.
• Administers oxygen and humidification therapy as per physician's order and department policy. Initiates, monitors and adjusts parameters on continuous mechanical ventilation.
• Responds to cardiopulmonary emergencies and renders care as per ACLS/BCLS standards.
• Provides emergent airway care including intubation, as per department policy.
• Implements ventilator management adhering to protocols as per department and Intensive Care Unit standards.
3. Provides patient/family with respiratory therapy education, as ordered.
4. Completes departmental paperwork as specified for each assignment completed and assists with inventory control.
5. Adheres to established infection control protocols and fire safety protocols.
6. Performs related duties as required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent, required. Bachelor's Degree, preferred.
• Certificate of completion from an accredited respiratory therapist program, required.
• Licensed in Respiratory Therapy in NY State, required.
• Registered as a Respiratory Therapist from the National Board of Respiratory Care, required.
• Advanced or Basic Life Support certification, required.