About the Job
Location:Community Medicine Kingston
Shift:Days (United States of America)
Scheduled Weekly Hours:36
Job Summary:Phlebotomist II is responsible and accountable for performing a wide range of tasks to provide a specimen of highest analytical quality for testing and accurate information for the system and medical laboratories' clients. Phlebotomist II can independently perform venipunctures and skin punctures on all age groups, from neonates through adults. Phlebotomist II will obtain blood specimens, process specimens for analysis, utilize the appropriate computer systems to register patients, facilitate billing, and perform overall specimen accessioning and processing. Phlebotomist II will have interpersonal communication ability to explain the blood drawing process and to show a comforting attitude toward patients.
- Performs venipunctures and skin punctures to obtain blood specimens according to Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute guidelines.
- Exhibits knowledge of adequate and correct collection requirements.
- Performs accessioning procedures appropriately and accurately to ensure positive identification of the specimens.
- Recognizes and resolves discrepancies as appropriate.
- Evaluates specimen suitability and acceptability.
- Resolves or refers problems as appropriate.
- Performs testing and records Point of Care instrument maintenance, troubleshooting, and quality control as assigned.
- Handles and replenishes reagents and supplies according to established protocols as assigned.
- Follows established reporting procedures as appropriate.
- Records and reports problems and solutions as appropriate.
- Navigates and accesses multiple computer applications as needed.
- Knows and abides by related policies and procedures including compliance policies.
- Provides phlebotomy coverage as required to Medical Group offices, skilled nursing facilities, or performs in-home phlebotomy for homebound patients.
- Successful completion of initial and subsequent competency exams required.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
Education:High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required)
Experience:Minimum of 1 year-Laboratory (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s):Certified Phlebotomy Specialist - American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), Member of National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Services (NAACLS) - National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Services (NAACLS), Valid Driver's License - Default Issuing Body
Skills:Communication Skills, Computer Skills, Interpersonal Skills, Laboratory Services, Phlebotomy
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
- KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
- EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
- LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
- INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
- SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.