Manager HR Services
About the Job
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
Petco is a category-defining health and wellness company focused on improving the lives of pets, pet parents and our own Petco partners. Since our founding, we’ve been trailblazing new standards in pet care, delivering comprehensive wellness solutions through our products and services, and creating communities that deepen the pet-pet parent bond. Over the last three years, we have transformed the business from a successful traditional retailer to a disruptive, fully integrated, digital-focused provider of pet health and wellness offerings. We operate in a large, attractive growth market within an industry that serves more than 69 million households with pets and represents a total addressable market of $95 billion as of 2019.
We operate more than 1,500 Petco locations across the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico, including a growing network of in-store veterinary hospitals, and offer a complete online resource for pet health and wellness at petco.com and on the Petco app. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has invested more than $280 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals and through in-store adoption events, we’ve helped find homes for more than 6.5 million animals.
We are currently hiring a Manager of HR Services to support our 27,000 partners across our growing enterprise. In this role, you will get to drive the overall partner experience for everything related to HR Services, systems, and operations. You will partner with a multitude of business and HR leaders to build, provide input on, and align our HR strategies to your ownership of HR services and operations. You will influence HR on how we shape and approach Operations and enable the delivery of amazing experiences for our partners. You will influence our HR Team on how we shape and approach HR Operations, and impact the entire employee lifecycle – from talent acquisition to onboarding to partner experience in an incredible employee-first culture.
You will be responsible for leading both the HR Service Center Team and HR Services Delivery Team. You will connect the dots across multiple Workday modules, including HCM, Onboarding, and Absence. Our continuous improvement environment will provide opportunities to iterate on systems, tools, processes, technology, and define what success looks like for HR Services. You’ll be the key member of the team that drives Workday-related innovation and influence how we continue to improve our partner experience. You will get to drive our compliance strategy forward and implement best practices that are proactive and agile.
- Lead and motivate HR Services Teams (internal and 3rd party) to produce high quality work that meets business initiatives and compliance requirements and ensure they function in a collaborative manner.
- Be the business owner of several systems, policies, processes and projects, you will collaborate closely with other business units as well as HR teams, while leveraging applicable tools and technology – Workday Case management, knowledge management, Time Tracking, Human Capital Management, etc.) to improve compliance, enhance service levels and identify strategic opportunities and objectives.
- Manage staff in completing HR and payroll related processes accurately and timely according to established policies and procedures, while applying continuous improvement.
- Manage initiatives from the planning & design phases through implementation and change management, accounting for immediate and long term impacts to various business functions (i.e. Support Centers, Stores, Distribution Centers, and Services) and other areas of HR.
- Ensure all initiatives comply with state, federal and local regulations and are aligned with companywide strategies
- Manage and execute compliance, documentation, and communication of all HR Services partner related transactions including onboarding, I-9s/EVerify, merit increases, wage adjustments, status changes, job changes, separations, and data retention in accordance with state and federal regulations.
- Provide effective vendor management to ensure compliance with contractual terms and agreed upon metrics. Escalate vendor performance issues to account manager to work toward resolution.
- Manage the HR Services and HR Service Center teams to ensure accurate and timely processing of a wide variety of HR related information, i.e., separations, transfers, promotions. This responsibility also includes the Puerto Rico stores and the Petco Shared Services company.
- Provide effective leadership, including building working relationships, setting clear expectations, coaching and developing. Understand your role and ensure the team is connected with the business. Assess and manage your team’s talent, succession and performance.
- Consult with various departments on new initiatives to ensure process and procedures as well as systems are in place to support the initiative.
- Collaborate with other members of HR, including Payroll, HRIS, Employee Relations, Compensation, Benefits, Learning & Development Talent Acquisition, and HR Business Partners to develop, implement and administer internal Human Resources processes and solutions.
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests.
- Independently prioritize, drive and accomplish multiple tasks within established timeframes.
- Design and implement HR Services related policies and training materials for partners and end users.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Research, resolve and communicate appropriate action for complex or non-routine Human Resources and Payroll related issues. Serve as knowledge expert for the HR Services team for special projects and key business initiatives, including acquisitions and new business expansion Manage the processing of new-hire transactions, Partner employment file, and other miscellaneous Human Resources transactions. Manage procedural or workflow problems to ensure appropriate resolution. Partner with other members of the HR team or other departments as needed to resolve problems, and propose solutions and enhancements to prevent reoccurrence and improve future performance. Oversee or conduct audits on a regular basis to ensure integrity of data in the HR Systems is maintained. Provide back-up support to staff members as needed. Duties may include but are not limited to all HR transactions. Effectively correspond both verbally and in writing to routine and non-routine correspondence from outside federal, state and local agencies, and attorneys on behalf of the Company. Maintain a high level of customer service with internal and external customers. Lead and manage special projects as assigned or required.
Directly manage the HR Services team and the HR Service Center, to ensure accurate and timely processing of a wide variety of HR related information. Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, mentoring/coaching, providing functional guidance, assignment delegation, follow-through, and, partnering with Human Resources, discipline up to and including termination.
A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Business, or 5-7 years comparable experience including a minimum of 2-3 years supervisory experience is required. This position requires a working knowledge of all 50 state & Federal wage and hour laws and taxes. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a professional demeanor and excellent customer service skills are required.
Advanced skills and experience with HRIS systems. , specifically Ceridian Dayforce and Workday Proficiency in business systems applications such as Microsoft Office. Demonstrated ability to work independently, plan, organize and lead the work of others, develop department goals and objectives consistent with corporate values and strategies are required.
An equivalent combination of education and experience can substitute for a degree.
- Analyze Information - Gathers and analyzes the most critical information needed to understand problems. Identifies the key issues in complex or ambiguous problems. Breaks down problems into manageable components. Recognizes symptoms that indicate problems.
- Project Management
- Demonstrate Credibility - Follows through on commitments. Is honest and direct in dealing with people. Acts consistently with stated policies and practices. Does not disclose confidential information.
- Plan and Execute Efficiently - Develops realistic plans (e.g., action steps, timelines) to accomplish objectives (e.g., optimizing staffing schedules). Plans and manages his/her own and others’ time, based on business priorities, and follows up to ensure all work requirements are completed in a timely and accurate manner. Holds him/herself and team accountable for outcomes (e.g., achieving goals and complying with policies and procedures). Anticipates and addresses obstacles, redirecting efforts to accelerate the work or improve quality.
- Seek Customer Satisfaction -Ensures the accurate understanding of customer needs (e.g., ensures that customer-facing employees ask key questions). Seeks feedback from customers to identify improvement opportunities. Ensures follow-up with customers to confirm problems are solved. Continually searches for ways to improve customer service (including the removal of barriers, and providing solutions).
- Select and Develop - Identifies and recruits/refers qualified people. Makes accurate evaluations of people's capabilities and fit. Provides honest, helpful feedback to others on their performance. Provides coaching and guidance where appropriate to enhance others' skill development.
- Use Appropriate Judgment - Makes sound decisions regarding everyday issues and problems. Chooses from alternatives based on consideration of pros, cons, tradeoffs, timing, and available resources. Evaluates the impact or consequences of actions and decisions (e.g., impacts on sales, customer satisfaction). Makes timely decisions regarding problems/issues requiring immediate attention.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.