NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is a 591-bed university-affiliated medical center, which offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We are a major regional healthcare resource with a deep commitment to medical education and research, offering a full complement of inpatient and outpatient services.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Transcriptionist.
In this role, the successful candidate provides transcription services using transcribing recorders to listen to recordings by physicians and other Healthcare professionals dictating a variety of medical reports. Composes written reports of the audio recordings made by physicians and other Healthcare professionals. Sets up and maintains medical files and databases.
- Reviews and edits transcribed reports or dictated material for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and
- proper medical terminology. Recognizes inconsistencies and mistakes in medical terms, referring to
- dictionaries, drug references, and other sources on anatomy, physiology, and medicine and diagnoses.
- Prioritizes and handles stat dictation andor diagnostic studies, from several physicians completing and
- submitting to physicians andor healthcare staff in a timely fashion. Reads handwritten report worksheets and
- flags discrepancies and report to physicians.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with physicians and other staff members.. Complies with all HIPPA
- guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Provides the necessary and appropriate support to ensure accurately transcribed medical reports and data of
- physicians dictated consultation report. Transcribes medical reports, correspondence, records, patient-care
- information and diagnostic studies. Converts dictated materials or rough notes to written form.
- Produces various types of documents that will be added to the permanent file of patients, including diagnostic
- test results, referral letters, operative reports, discharge summaries, and medical histories
- Returns dictated reports in printed form for physicians review, signature, and corrections, for mailing to their
- primary physicians, and for inclusion in patients' medical records.
- Transcribes dictation for a variety of medical reports such as patient histories, physical examinations, followup summaries, and cardiac testing.
Additional Position Specific Responsibilities:
Must be able to function as a scribe
- High School Diploma or GED. 1 2 years Transcriptionist experience.
- Excellent communication (both written and oral), interpersonal, critical thinking, multitasking, and customer service skills.
- Proficient computer strong skills Microsoft office
- Strong keyboarding, typing, grammar and constant interruption.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to use Headsets, transcribing machines, web based dictation services and navigate through current EMR program.
- Understands and maintains patient confidentiality.
Associate's Degree Medical Transcription / Medical Transcription Courses. Certified Medical Transcriptionist (CMT).
1-2 years In a private physician practice and/or Hospital setting
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.