Northwell Health Glen Oaks, NY
About the Job
Job Description Job Description
Performs general clerical and receptionist duties supporting the patient care unit, including preparing, compiling and maintaining records.
- * Performs a variety of duties relative to admission, discharge and/or transfer of patients.
- Prepares patient charts and assembles new admission packets.
- Transmits discharge notices to appropriate departments.
- Notifies assigned departments when patients are admitted, discharged, transferred, placed on “condition serious” list, expired, etc.
- * Performs a variety of clerical duties required to maintain accurate charts.
- Reviews patient charts and other related data for accuracy and completeness of information.Ensures required signatures have been obtained.
- Files all hard copy documents in patient charts.
- Assembles discharged patient charts and forwards completed chart to Medical Records within established time interval and hospital guidelines
- * Performs a variety of clerical duties essential to operation of patient care unit, as directed.
- Schedules patients for special tests, consultations, transportation, etc.
- Prepares various records and reports (i.e daily census, staff attendance).
- Distributes mail, packages and flowers to patients.
- Maintains current and neat bulletin, directory and locator boards for unit.
- Maintains chart areas, desks, files, etc in a neat and orderly condition.
- Notifies supporting departments of needs/changes on patient unit (i.e environmental, maintenance, dietary issues).
- Maintains department supply inventory.
- * Acts as a receptionist on unit.
- Directs and provides information to visitors.
- Uses appropriate telephone etiquette and knowledge of telephone system to facilitate communication of the patient units.
- Answers intercom, assists visitors and distributes incoming mail.Answers routine questions or refers to appropriate individual for reply.
- Receives and transmits messages accurately and promptly.
- Acts as representative of hospital to patients and visitors and as such is appropriately attired and promotes good public relations.
- * Provides coverage where needed at the request of supervisory staff.
- Accesses medication delivery and/or medication areas, as authorized, in the performance of required duties, as needed.
- Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Prior clerical experience, preferred.
- Typing 30 wpm and/or data entry skills (80 keystrokes per minute), required.
- Ability to communicate effectively.