Phlebotomist II - FlexStaff (Temporary)
About the Job
- Draws blood from adult, pediatric and infant patients.
- Interprets and verifies orders including patient identification.
- Assesses the physical condition of the site to be used for blood collection.
- Selects appropriate equipment for the chosen method of collection.
- Calculates quantity needed for diagnostic study.
- Labels specimen according to policy.
- Delivers specimens to Central Processing Laboratory.
- Assesses physical condition of the patient during phlebotomy and takes appropriate action.
2. Follows approved standard precautions including, but not limited to the use of aseptic techniques, protective gear, discard of contaminated equipment, and other isolation precautions, as directed
3. Follows administrative guidelines in the operation of the Ambulatory Lab, Pre-Admission Testing.
- Instructs patients regarding collection of blood, urine, sputum and stool specimens.
- Processes specimens to proper area of lab.
- Identifies and communicates problems to Nursing Supervision.
- Maintains phlebotomy supply levels.
- Restocks lab supplies.
- Assesses the type of blood work required for elective pre-op patient according to policy and requirements.
4. Performs operation support duties including, but not limited to filling-in pertinent information on required forms; orientating new hires; delivering reports, supplies and other material; maintaining records; and participating in quality/assurance/control initiatives.
5. Performs related duties, as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required
- Bachelor of Science in related field, preferred.
- Certified in Phlebotomy from a National Organization, preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in Phlebotomy or equivalent combination of education and experience required