Northwell Health New York, NY
About the Job
- Processes physician orders to provide pharmaceutical care services by screening orders when entering into the computer profile and reviewing for appropriate therapy - e.g., incompatibilities, interactions, dosing, non-formulary agents.
- Prepares sterile products including large/small volume parenterals, Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN’s), chemotherapy utilizing aseptic technique and monitoring parameters.
- Modifies, clarifies, and verifies medication orders through the interdisciplinary medical team by communicating with practitioners concerning therapy changes.
- Dispenses controlled drugs following state and federal regulations and hospital policy including proper documentation and maintenance of inventory levels as well as the dispensing unit for controlled substances.
- Maintains proper inventory control by monitoring stock levels to ensure adequate drug supplies to maintain pharmaceutical services and expiration dates to ensure quality control.
- Performs computer operations to enter physician orders, maintain patient profiles, generate reports, fill patient medication needs for a twenty-four hour period, repackage unit dose for the “robotic” system, understand and operate the interfacing of various systems and utilize the dispensing unit for controlled substances.
- Performs unit inspections of designated patient care areas by checking controlled drugs, refrigerators, stock levels, medication carts, expiration dating of multi-dose vials, medication stashes, expiration dates, and overall medication handling practices.
- Monitors nonprofessional staff including the pharmacy students, assistants and messengers.
- Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
- Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmacy, required. PharmD, preferred.
- Current license to practice Pharmacy in New York State.
- Minimum of one (1) year related experience to ensure familiarity with hospital pharmacy practice, preferred.